Tuesday, August 30

A Tiring But Good Day

“Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude.Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness.
Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” David O. McKay
My Gratitudes for Tuesday:

1. I enjoyed what I wrote Sunday: "Still Learning." It's therapeutic expressing what's going on in my life.
2. Today, I started a meeting to help myself and others use our time in a way that's more congruent with the vision we have for our lives. I made it to the meeting on time, even though I faced daunting, bumper-to-bumper traffic on the freeway, for a stretch of five miles
3. Shortly after this meeting, I visited with friends in Berkeley. I was weary hearing others share what ails them. Where's the growth in that? When I spoke up,
twice, I shared what I'm doing that allows me to move forward. After the meeting a few pulled me aside and shared their gratitude for what I said, and my approach to life.
4. Today, I interacted with someone who typically interrupts me. She attended the meeting I started. It was fascinating hearing her self-criticism; it wasn't what I expected from someone who is rather assertive.  I had more compassion for her after listening to her perception of herself and life.
5. I actually had dinner with this same person----it was unplanned. We ate before gathering with mutual friends. It good that I'm open to relating with.all kinds of people. I discovered later that sharing dinner with her helped her break away from her nature to isolate. She also apologized to me, while we ate. I didn't expect her apology. She said that the way she treated me was a result of her issues not mine. Wow, miracles happen.
6. I'm speaking before a large audience tomorrow. At a place I've never spoken at before. I look forward to it. It's always fun to talk about what I've been learning as I'm journeying along in life. I'll speak about disappointment and the second chance we get at being parented by healthy others when we are involved in service.

*****************************************

Getting Feedback

        After the meeting I started was over, I walked to my car. It was a couple of  blocks away.  Someone from the meeting drove my way; she stopped her car and offered me a ride. I turned to her and smiled----I had walked a few blocks and was close to my vehicle. I said "thank you, but I'm near my car."

        Another car went around the car that had stopped by my side. The driver of this passing car had watched the scene, she was an attractive brunette. She slowed down and said, "you have a beautiful smile" and sped away. Wow. Gosh. I was happy that others could see my happiness, even though I didn't mean for that to happen.

       So, I guess you should know that you really do have a happy innkeeper.

       I've shared more than three gratitudes this evening. Dear Silent Readers, would it be possible for you to share yours? I'd love hearing them. Doing so contributes to the community we enjoy here. I'm just making a request....

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels