Tuesday, August 23

Making Memories, A Surprise, Time for Me and Another Surprise ..............8/23/11


“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and 
that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”
      G.K. Chesterton
 
   Good evening everyone.

Finally, a chance to post. I worked in three different cities today, in addition to spending time with my oldest son. Whew! Thanks for dropping by. I'm heating up some water for your tea. Please have a seat. How are you? I trust everything is going well with you. If not, you're at the right place. This late evening, I'm still glowing from enjoying an amazing,
yet diverse day, the weather was spectacular, too: 88 degrees with a cool breeze.

************************************************* 

 A Date With My Son, and a Surprise

I made a lunch for my son and me. We met on the campus where he's studying. It's twenty-one miles from my place. He completing his studies at a local university. To say he's stressed out would summarize his life. A presentation this Thursday he's giving, it's one of two group projects he's leading this quarter; then he has finals next week. If you prayed for this young man, I'd be a happy innkeeper.

     It's interesting seeing my son age.While visiting, I gazed upon him, recalling memories of him as a lad. He was a cute baby with chubby cheeks and a sweet son as a boy. Now, his hair is receding a bit, wears suits daily and drives a BMW. He manages a department that takes in $50,000 to 150,000 a day. He always did win when, as a family, we played Monopoly, was a disciplined student and applied himself to whatever he did.

    I walked the equivalent of a four blocks to get to the Student Union, in 88 degree weather, carrying two heavy bags (It was air conditioned inside the building--ahh!). Paying $10.00/hour for parking on campus had no appeal. I enjoyed the surprise I brought along with the sandwiches, yogurt, cheese sticks, walnuts and fresh fruit salad. It's important for me, creating memories that encourage my sons and let them know they are loved by their dad.

    After we ate our Italian sandwiches, his favorite, it was time for the fruit salad.  I pulled out the bowls and spoons from the insulated case I brought along. We topped the fruit with yogurt, sprinkling wheat germ on top. Then the surprise. Forgive me for being a kid.  I whipped out the whip cream. The surprised smile he had was priceless. You don't see whipped cream on college campuses, especially in the Student Union. But, little touches mean much. He's my son. I'm proud of him. I was happy letting him know how much I cherish him.

     We still had thirty minutes before his class started, after we ate. I asked questions and listened, that was all that was necessary. We stood as we prayed before he headed to class, he, wearing a rucksack full of books, ready to go. When we finished, we hugged, he pushed the door  to leave, he turned around, looked me in the eye and said, "thank you for the food." For my understated, extremely busy, reserved son, saying those unprompted five words made my day and efforts worthwhile. 

 Making Time for Me


    I had an exceptional conversation with someone else today. It was a personal conversation and totally unscheduled. A gift from God, it was. Times like these are rare and cherished. It's entirely invigorating, talking with someone where we are both on the same wave-length. That this person is left-handed, like me, didn't hurt.

     The time we spent talking reminds me of the following quote:
Friendship is less a request than a celebration, less a ritual than a reality, less a need than a want. Friendship is freedom, is flowing, is rare.  It does not need stimulation, it stimulates itself. It trusts, understands, grows, explores, it smiles and weeps.  It does not exhaust or cling, expect or demand,  It is--and that is enough-- and it dreams a lot. 
James Kavanaugh, Will You be My Friend? Los Angeles,  Nash Publishing, 1973
Getting a Surprise From My Dad

       I  see how this works. One turn deserves another. Like calls to like, we are met by the traits we show.  I surprised my eldest son with a small surprise. I did not know at the time, my heavenly Dad would do the same to me later that afternoon. I was gifted with the unfolding of what looks to be the beginning of a great friendship.

My Gratitudes for Today: 
   
1. I got my driver's license extended for 90 days. I have to take the test. I'm not ready for it. I have a commercial license, the exam is involved.  I have it from way back when I worked in the sub-acute psychiatric hospital and would take residents on outings, many years ago. Without my license, my bank won't cash my checks, so, it was nice getting it done. 
2.More people are asking for my services. Today, I've added two more clients to my schedule.
3. I saw a terrific movie recently: "The Help" It nice knowing that meaningful movies are still being made.
4. I'm thankful for the meeting I go to in San Rafael, on this day. Today, I didn't make it. Not being there brought home the value I get when I attend. I'm a different man because of that meeting, and it's only been two months.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

What a wonderful quote about friendship. Isn't it nice to have those conversations and moments that are apparently set up by God? I'm glad you had such a wonderful day.

Gratitudes....

I am grateful that my son has adjusted well to seven hours of kindergarten a day, with only the complaint of each day being 'long'.

I'm grateful that I have the means by which to feed him warm, filling breakfasts each morning before he heads off to school.

I'm grateful I have class tonight, even though I am on the edge of terrified.

Pablo said...

Dear Kelly,

Thanks for dropping by. How was the tea for you, was the water a bit hot? :->

I consider such serendipitous pleasant moments as kisses from God. He's letting me know his favor towards me. During such occasions I find the "pleasant others" as incarnational ambassadors of His love. I appreciate the gift and try not to overlook them.

Thanks for making this a wonderful day by dropping by and chatting with the innkeeper. You and Myles have my prayers. Wow, your kid is growing up. Did you cry when you dropped him off at school? God is good, isn't He? He promises to meet all of our needs, not our wants.

You have my prayers regarding starting school. I'm proud of you. You have grown so much this summer, besides becoming water logged from all your swimming with Myles. I thank you, for making my day. I love your consistency in regularly posting three gratitudes, most times, when you drop by. You're fulfilling the vision of this inn.

Remember, you're not alone. I am one of your Balcony People. And...please don't make yourself so scarce! :->

Hugs,

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels