Wednesday, January 28

The Benefits I Am Getting When I Visit Sebastopol.............. 1/28/15

        I didn't like my experience yesterday in Sebastopol.  Horrible.  The instructor, a psychol-ogist, corrected me for nodding my head.  That's right, for nodding.  "I imagine doing that is a
control pattern of yours," she said.  Geeze.

        When she declared her judgment, I did not nod, because I did not agree.  I gently shake my head up and down, when talking with someone else, because I am a supportive, affirm-ing person.  My nodding demonstrates my con-nection with whomever I am talking with.  Wow.  This workshop is almost becoming irritating.  It does not meet my need for support, connection, compassion, or sensitivity, in addition to emotional safety.

         Four times, when she made a point, last night, she nodded at the participants.  I imagine her criticism may reveal projections she is dealing with.  I didn't feel like pointing this out, each time she bobbed her head.  Perhaps I should have.  I guess I wasn't being honest.  (I'm joking, guys.)

         The fellow who criticized me yesterday, that I mentioned in this post also critiqued my smile last night.  That, too.  He was not sure if I was truly a happy person or if I was being phoney.

         What a lovely workshop.

          You ask what are the benefits of attending the workshop? How about these: 

1.  Attending is an opportunity enjoy the strength of my self-image.  It has been challenged each time I have attended. 
2.  I am learning how I do NOT want to be, when relating with anyone, especially clients. 
3.  It is allowing me to practice my autonomy, and adhere to my values and boundaries.
4.  It is an opportunity to practice patience.
5.  It is strengthening my ability to listen, even when I don't like what the other person is saying. This is embracing multiple perspectives.
6.  I am discovering the fun I am having, pretending I am a social anthropologist when I am in the lovely town of Sebastopol.
   a.  I am in a world different than mine.
   b.  I am being stretched beyond my comfort zone. 
7.  Regardless of the intention of this workshop---which I will endure for three months---each night I attend I get a routine dose of the negative feelings that judging, projections and negativity create when they exist in a relationship.

     This is causing my empathy to grow when I hear the disturbing times others have with controlling, critical, insensitive people.

How About You? 
What is your take on my experiences in this workshop? 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels