Tuesday, May 27

The Innkeeper Reveals Another Side ................... 5/27/14

       Playing the guitar for a friend.  Singing for an hour-and-a-half, too.  Celebrating the warm weather, shady trees and the day semi-off.  A refreshing departure from my normal routine.

         I worked Monday afternoon. Afterwards, having dinner with a friend.  We dropped by a music store, got a replacement D string and cruised to a local a park in San Leandro.  I surprised my friend, pulling out a
guitar case out of the backseat of the car.  This person never heard me play or sing.

         Inside the case, I picked a harmonica---in the key of A, one of many, in different keys---and wailed Chicago blues, bending notes.  Laying aside this small instrument on top of my Panama hat that lay on a picnic table, I began caressing guitar strings while singing.  My vocal chords got reacquainted with tunes not visited in two years.  A flat pick I don't use.  I pick with all fingers, the result of training in classical guitar.

        I'm preparing to serenade someone special, soon.

        Life is about adapting, being resilient.  This past weekend required flexibility, when life's course varied from my well-laid plans.  Monday, I improvised,  I hadn't planned on being in town.

Gratitudes:
1.  Music. It is a rich expressive language, conveying an expansive range of emotions in ways otherwise impossible.  It's also a soothing way to discharge tension.
2.  My supportive community.  I become emotionally spent, if I don't recharge my spirit spending time with those who love me unconditionally.  I am fortunate having many Safe People.
3.  This year is the best year of my life.  I have had lows. But, I've learned how to deal with disappointment and thrive, even when I am flattened by disappointing circumstances.
4.   Learning the true nature of a person I had invested in for several years.  Truth can hurt.  But I prefer reality to fantasy. Reality I can count on.

       I balance negative truths with actions that nurture me.  I know how to be gentle towards myself when I am skidding through the rough patches of life.
5.  I'm going to hear jazz tomorrow at the Fairmont, in San Francisco.  I look forward to celebrating a special day.
6.  For confidence.  I confronted an issue today. I am not a sycophant.  Tremendous pressure was placed upon me, to deviate from healthy principles.  I stuck to my values, calmly, firmly and resolutely.  I said what I mean, meant what I said, but didn't say it meanly.
7.  I made an amends tonight. What I love about doing that, is that amends making is for my sake, not the person offended.

       I cleaned my side of the street.  How the other person responds is irrelevant.  I do it, to salve my conscience, by making things right as much as is practicable.

How About You? 
Please share your three gratitudes for today?

        A happy and resolute innkeeper

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels