Saturday, May 23

Success: Doing What We Don't Like, Conscientiously 5/23/15

      Shoulders sore.  The result of pulling on my handle bars and shoving my feet hard on the pedals, while wheeling up a steep incline.  Sometimes the hill defeats me.  No matter.  I get off my bike, panting and walking for
five minutes, catching my breath and giving my heart a break.

       Residual exhaustion, the result of climbing hills with my heavy steel, not aluminum bike.  This week, my heart pounded out of my chest, my lungs burned, as I sucked in cold, evening air, while cycling in the hills.

      I loved every second of it.

      Success isn't achieved by taking it easy.  Do you know the difference between us and someone we envy?  We are willing to settle for less.  I settle for more.  Most of you don't know I work on my client files until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. There's so much to do.

      Nightly, my schizophrenic self battles----no, I really don't have schizophrenia--- tearing myself away, from my work desk.  Even at 3:00 a.m.  My mind tells me I should rest.  My determined self argues I would rest more sweetly, if I had my work finished, in order.
       I am careful about those I relate with, knowing that I am the average of the five people I hang out with.  Motivated, disciplined, hard-working, intelligent---who constantly grow, using what they learn----confident, people who give their lives in service of others, are those I spend time with.

      I don't relate with those who pull me down.  Effort is necessary for us to get the fullest measure of a fulfilling life.  I want to make my life count.  Don't you??  Do you know the difference between a rut and a grave?

      The rut has the two ends kicked out.

       If we are in a rut, we are already dead.  We're zombies, going through the motions but life has already departed from us.  We don't want to settle for less.  We want to get going.

Gratitudes for Saturday: 
1.  I love all the fullness life offers, thriving, enjoying growth and celebrating what each day brings.
2.  I am humbled by the growth I have experienced---inward growth.  The result of committing hours to working on my character.
3.  I am happy that I don't accept unacceptable behavior or those who are emotional vampires.
4.  I appreciate discernment.  It helps me to know who to relate with and how to understand others. I gain it by filling my mind with healthy principles, like the Scriptures.  Yes, the Scriptures.
5.  I look forward to several special times in the upcoming week. One being that I am  going to a concert in San Jose, another, that I am going to the Fairmont in San Francisco.
6.  I love the luxury of sleeping well. This, a result of treating my body, hard, as mentioned in the beginning of this post.
7.  I love being present.  Realizing that my ego does NOT define me.  There's more to me than my head, thank God.  Resting in what is, is delightful.  It makes me more in touch with myself. I am less reactive, more at peace.  Defensiveness flees. I am happy being me.
8.  I am thankful that every day I touch people's lives---I am able to serve others.

How About You? 
What are your three gratitudes for today?

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels