Wednesday, March 5

Lesson Learned From Processionary Caterpillars, Enjoying A Spiritual Awakening, Revisited 3/5/14


         I wrote this a while back. I'm sharing it with those of you who were not regular visitors, then. 
**** 

        Today, I'm attending a meeting.  At one time, I went to many.  Not so, now.  Life's demands, make it imperative for me to have time alone.  (Mind you, I'm with people all the time.  If you have been isolating, it may be that God wants you connecting with others---pronto.)

        What a joy it is
breathing in life, calmly, delighting in its glorious wonder.  This can not happen when living frantically.   Our American sensibilities, often equates busyness with productivity or success.

        I heartily disagree.

Learning from Processionary Caterpillars

    Imagine having an empty flower pot.  Now, place seeds that processionary caterpillars love eating, inside. These critters would walk around and around and around---following one another.  They would circle the pot, forever, eventually dying from starvation.  Mind you, the nourishment needed was less than a quarter of an inch away, inside the ceramic container.

     It's easy being like a hairy slug-looking insect, mistaking activity for accomplishment.  Effectiveness has to precede efficiency.  Doing a task right, isn't the issue.  Doing the right task, is.  People who succeed, have goals, knowing their priorities.

     Appreciating the little things of life and nature, allowing time for my spirit to express itself, making nutritious, delicious meals that require time, and getting into the Zen of preparing it, is taking care of me.

     Listening to music I love, engaging in intimate, authentic conversations with my Safe and Balcony People nurtures me.

     Doing what it takes, so that I can sleep more than seven hours contributes to my soul drinking in sanity and serenity.

      Living by helpful principles, exercising boundaries----abiding by them, even when pressured to do otherwise by unpleasant, bullying, demanding people and narcissists, is loving and caring for yours truly.

A Spiritual Awakening

       Staying focus, less crises and obsessing and delighting in inner peace is a spiritual awakening.  No, being spiritual isn't feeling superior to others or wearing a halo of self-righteousness.  Living fully is seizing the joys the day offers while being practical and responsible, too.  A spiritual awakening involves enjoying the beauty of living in the here and now, not tinctured with bitterness, fear or self-loathing.

        It is sharing life with emotionally healthy friends, loved ones and family.  Connecting with God and life involves luxuriating in emotional safety, tranquility, order and ease.  It's connecting and having intimacy with others who accept us exactly as we truly are.  We are ourselves.

        All of the above has largely been my reality for the past nine plus years.  And for that, I have an Attitude of Gratitude, making me a happy guy.

How About You?
In what ways are you enjoying a Spiritual Awakening?

1 comment:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

On this Thursday night, I am grateful...

1. For the inspiration to pause early in my work day to read page 75 in Courage to Change about Forgiveness. Exactly what I needed to read today...liberated my heart, and transformed my attitude for the remainder of the day.

2. For sunshine, clouds and rain refreshing a 12 hour work day, travelling 215 miles, past rows of flowering, yellow mustard carpeted vineyards, and returning home tired but happy.

3. To find myself unexpectedly in loving service to one of God's "Beloved" this afternoon.

4. To "Let Go and Let God" take care of the outcome of an uncomfortable court appearance (providing moral support) with/for one of our formerly petulant sons tomorrow morning.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels