Friday, January 31

Practicing Patience and Grace, Seeing the Fruit of Staying Present, Not Catastrophizing ..................1/31/14

       Good evening.  My eyes are drooping.  I'm tired.  The week has been crazy.  In spite of these complaints, I'm thrilled.  Beyond thrilled.

       There are so many stories to recount........all of them are
excellent.

    Where to start?

    I'm getting my car ready, so I can drive it.  The fact that I haven't driven in two years meant there were many loose ends needing attention.  I took care of the insurance, an old parking ticket, vehicle registration----it had been more than 3 years since I was in a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) office.  A numbing experience.  It allowed opportunities to practice patience towards those working there and myself.

    I negotiated getting my fees lowered.  First, I arranged a 25% reduction.  I asked to speak with the manager a second time.  She wasn't nice the first time I spoke with her.  Nonetheless, I got another 25 % lopped off the bill, the result of  speaking gently, sincerely and humbly.

     Initially, the clerk doing the manager's bidding was gruff and distant.  Within the twenty minutes working with her, she warmed up and started smiling.  Weird how a person's disposition can change, when approached with kindness and gentle honesty.
"Like calls to like, we are met by the traits we show.
Where love will find a friend, hate will find a foe."
     There was one thing I had to do that was horrific, while there.  I had to call a number in Sacramento that required interacting with a hellacious phone tree.  My voice was not distinct enough, and the ambient noisy in the noisy DMV office had me calling, and calling again---for forty-five minutes,  while under a 5:00 p.m. deadline. The DMV office was about to close.  I found myself loudly calling out my VIN number, license plate number and answered other prompts, to no avail.

     What an opportunity to rely upon my Higher Power, not myself.   Not getting task done, and it was 4:55 p.m., I stopped participating in the nonsense.  I dashed the closed window of a clerk still sitting at her desk.  Spying my smart phone, she used it to access the office I tried reaching, solving the problem.  She even took my credit card and paid the $14.00 bill for me.

     God, through this kind woman, did for me what I could not do for myself.   Now you one idea why I'm a grateful man.

     One thing I didn't mention. That day I operated with one hour and twenty minutes of sleep.  The night before I worked through it, doing administrative work related to my business.  I went to bed at 5:55 a.m. and rose at 7:15 a.m., sleeping, having a dream and all, waking to see a client at 8:00 a.m.

My Gratitudes:
1.  I'm thankful for the peace enjoyed when I stay present, even when things are not working out, and I'm down to the last minute while under a deadline.
2.  I thank the kind clerk at the DMV who took care of the paperwork for me, after 5:00 p.m.
3.  I'm super joyful for wonderful developments in my life.  More to be revealed, maybe.
4.  I am a fortunate man, doing work I love.  As I've said here, many times, it isn't my job, it is my joy.
5.  I'm grateful for Patrick Sutton who helped me, as I join the 21st century, and will soon be using a car.  I was so thankful for his chauffeuring me on Thursday and his patience, as he waited for hours, staying with me at the DMV.  I treated him to dinner and an excellent movie---Tom Clancy based.
6.  I love life.  All that has gone on in my life has prepared me for this very moment.
7.  I am indebted to God.  I am humbled by gifts He's given me. What I do with them in my gift to Him.  I earnestly hope to make this world a bit better. My goal is living a life that would be missed if I were no longer around.
8.  I'm touched, encouraged, delighted, with what's going on in my life. It thrills me, experiencing God's tremendous love.  I have amazing friends. My life has clarity, due to being highly conscious of my boundaries and using nonviolent communication when relating with others.
9.  I'm thrilled that I am internally, not externally referented, and I don't accept unacceptable behavior.
10.  I'm humbled seeing tremendous strides taken by nearly all (98%) of those I help, my clients. Wow.
11. I, with eagerness, embrace life. I know it has gifts for me, if I but slow down, hear God's voice, heed His guidance and allow myself to get out of the way.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels