Tuesday, January 21

Where Has the Innkeeper Been? 1/21/14


     Please excuse the innkeeper's absence.  It hasn't been for want of desire.  I've been here in spirit, even though you haven't heard from me.  If you look around this inn,  you'll see I've been
puttering around.

       If you check out the Contact, About, Quotations pages above, you'll see I've added to them.  Oh, I've added another page too, Testimon-ials.  You can get an idea of my personality and the nature of how I work with others and who I am, there.  If you are nosey about your innkeeper.

      But that isn't why I've been absent.  I've been exhausted.  Friday-Sunday, I was in class---no, not traffic school.  Upping my credentials and training, in San Francisco, I was.  Two of those days I rode from Alameda, on my bike to South San Francisco, near the airport. Whew!

      The new Bay Bridge has a bike path to Treasure Island, allowing me to make my way there.  I caught a bus to SF from the island and rode through the City to the airport for a total 25 miles (40.23 km).  There was no ferry service over the weekend from Alameda Island to So. San Francisco, so I went the long way, Friday and Saturday, to class.

      It looks like I could give a workshop in August for the organization that taught me this weekend.  They're interested in my talking about the seven modalities I use when working with clients and the exercises I have them do, when we are together.   I have to think about that.

My Gratitudes for This Day: 

1.  It was an experience, being in a class this weekend. There were plenty of nice people there.  Many intense conversations.  Too many.  I was depleted by 4:00 p.m.  No energy left for postings here.  But still, it was a change, being with many of a similar bent.

2.  Friday, I had a two-hour conversation with a dear friend. I needed that, especially good was reading poetry together.  I hadn't seen this friend in awhile; it was nice.

3.  Last week I completed a poem, my second since November. This, after not having written a poem in ten years.  It was good doing it.  Better, was what motivated me.  :->  Creating a poem strengthens my writing.  Poetry is all about economy, a good quality to develop as a scribe.

4.  Seeing my skill sets grow is fulfilling. That happened, this weekend.  I am grateful when my effectiveness increases.

How About You? 
What are your gratitudes for today? 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

On this Tuesday evening, I am grateful for;

1. A shorter work day to tend to my health.

2. An excellent chat with someone I could share our "Job's Course" story and my heart with, in humor and in tears.

3. Being able to tell a new, presumptuous and demanding young chef NO, with tact, grace and confidence.

4. Catching up with James Spader and Blacklist!

5. The chance to have coffee or lunch this week with my older brother, who just came out of rehab at the V.A. Hospital in the South Bay.

6. That our second oldest son is happily ensconced in a residential rehab program perfectly suited to his needs.

7. That our third oldest son is coming out of his emotional funk; thawing out, and rejoining the human race.

8. That my wife and I can get away for a long weekend on Saturday with my sister and her husband in the Sierra Nevada Foothills; Gold Rush Country...a much needed respite from routine stress of daily living.

9. That though the 49er's lost, we can all now get behind the Denver Bronco's and root our hearts out at the Super Bowl! We shall dine on the Seachickens like we are starving Gold Miners at Pollo de Loco!!!

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

On this Thursday night, I am grateful for;

1. Rich, uplifting and moving time to share with my mentor and with our weekly circle of friends in healing last night, at our favorite diner on our "Island on the Bay," under the hazy, setting, Pacific sun.

2. The restorative power of naps; sleeping.

3. The chance to get away to the Gold Country this weekend, spend quality time with my older sister and her husband, sight see a bit, and just exhale, unwind and relax.

4. Watching "Downton Abbey" with them on Sunday night!

5. To remember that having a Michelin Star Chef (Diva) momentarily raging; angry with me (most are bipolar anyway...), often for telling them "NO," is certainly not the end of the world. That it is, in fact, probably proof that they are becoming more comfortable and familiar with me and that I'm actually doing something right.

6. That the "Planet of the Apes" remake with James Franco was not real, because the wholesale destruction of huge swaths of Tony Bennett's favorite town would indeed be tragic!

7. That on my weekly job-related road trip, I can opt for a healthy Avocado, Tomato and Jack Cheese sandwich vs. a slice of hot, steamy, pizza at Whole Foods, and survive!

8. The chance to meet with a friend tomorrow over coffee to share our common experiences, strength and hope.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels