Friday, January 3

Not Tethered to Today's Technology 1/3/14

      Good evening,

Yes, I'm back, two days in a row.  I'm tired.  Very.  Five clients were seen today.  On top of moving to a new home this week, I stayed true to my
weekly work schedule.

Gratitudes for This Evening:

1. I'll sleep in tomorrow. Ya ay! Rest is appreciated.
2. The day was varied in its demands.  Being challenged, having my competency tested is invigorating.
3. I'm settling in at my new place.  I value the peace of mind, joy, harmony and tranquility enjoyed at my new digs.

     A New Toy: Ho Hum

     With great reluctance, I purchased a high-end smart phone with all the bells and whistles.  It is used to make calls and text messages.  That's all.   I'm so busy, I don't have time to learn how to fully use it.  I got a new telephone because on the day I moved, I misplaced my old phone.  It is being devious and remains hidden.

      My response to losing the phone is encouraging.  I loved myself, being gentle towards myself.  Moving is disorienting. Life happens. If misplacing a phone is my greatest challenge, life is treating me extremely well.
"Condemning my imperfections has never enhanced my appreciation of life or helped me to love myself more."   Hope for Today, p 19
       I see most everyone, everywhere beholden by this social devil, caressing it alive while texting, playing games, or using it as their computer in a pocket or maybe, even using it to make a call.  My fingers, however, are not trembling, itching to play with the many possibilities it offers. It will remain that way, and will not possess me, is my guess.  It is my servant, I am not its.

       I'm relieved I'm not consumed by the enticing abilities of this new device.  I prefer the quietness of reading, writing, reflective solitude, tranquility, and time alone with God or having a conversation the old-fashioned way----face-to-face with another.

       Since Tuesday, this new toy---which came with a beautiful blue cover--- remains tucked in my back pocket.

 4.   I'm thankful for autonomy, not being tethered to today's technology.

How About You? 
What are your three gratitudes for today? 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

On this Saturday night, I am grateful for...

1. A quiet, reflective and healing prayer tonight with our second oldest son.

2. Catching and blocking a pending, fraudulent bank debit card charge online late last night, before it went through.

3. That on my day off, my sales manager kindly arranged for a colleague to handle a second delivery to one of my better customers in S.F.

4. Priming the pump the "Downton Abbey" Season 4 Premiere tomorrow, with tonight's PBS rerun of Season 3.

5. An unexpected and touching letter from my older brother who is in rehab in the South Bay; and doing well. He closes with..."I am so very fortunate to have a huge network of loving family and friends to come home to!"

Dina Toyoda said...

Hi Pablo, how are you? It's funny, I've been having conversations with my kids and other people about Smart phone. I purchased a Starbucks card, but was told that I need a Smart Phone to keep track of my benefits. People tell me how I can have internet and GPS and the ability to connect with others at my fingertips at all times, but I reply that I don't need those things at my fingertips! Life is already too hectic, just having a cell phone prompts us to use it at most inappropriate times, like driving. We need to slow down, not to speed up, to connect to our soul and the world around us! That's it - my ranting is over, thanks for providing a venue for it! God bless!
P.S. I forwarded information to you about Alameda USD policies on letting groups use their facilities.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels