Thursday, February 27

This and That and Sunshine Too 2/27/14

      Good evening everyone.  I went to bed at 1:30 this morn, rising at 7:20 a.m., working from 8:30 a.m. until the hour met its twin, 8:30 p.m.

      Today, I engaged in conversations about God with those who saw me. The subject was turning our will and lives over
to Him. Step Three in recovery speak.  A scarey idea for most.

     The thing is, we can use the 12 steps of recovery to deal with fear, anxiety, depression, even procrastination and self-rejection.

     What an amazingly invigorating profession I have.  Fun, too.

      I goofed big time---twice---today.  A good thing.  I observed my reaction to them.  I was gentle towards myself, even though my errors threw off my day.  I could not accomplish what was scheduled.  That's fine.  I am not what I do or don't do.

      It's emotionally satisfying, seeing I do not allow the ebbs of life---when the things I like elude my grasp---rob my equanimity.  Yesterday, I was upset.  Rare.  But, you know what?  It is good, getting upset.  It let me know my emotions are not frozen.  I am living life fully.

      This week, I've dealt with insanity from others.  Mixed messages.  Urgent requests followed by no communication when I tried responding to crises.  What does this tell me?  That it is great not relying on irresponsible others for my serenity.

       The day is coming.  Yep, it is.  I'm planning on driving my car 300 miles on Sunday.  That is when I break my abstinence from petroleum.  I have not used my vehicle in two years.  Imagine that.  I've been paying car insurance for the past two months----had to.  It irked me, being forced to, in order to process DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) paperwork.  That circumstance helped me exercise forgiveness towards the state of California.

       Okay, here's the biggie, the juiciest thing I share. Either Paris or Ankara, the capital of Turkey,  I"m planning to make a trip to, later this year.  I working the details.  Paris is better you say?  Not necessarily so for me. There are many reasons, like twenty, why I'd prefer Turkey.   And no, I'm not Turkish.

       Stay tuned. I will fess up my reasons in due time.  That will be my cliffhanger for today.

Gratitudes for Thursday:
1.  I was disciplined. This is a day I do administrative duties.  I was focused. That means I will not be filing until 5:00 a.m. this morning, something I've done the past two weeks.  That's a good thing.
2.  I had vibrant phone calls with four clients today.  They are experiencing progress, overcoming familial legacies and applying healthy alternatives to the worry and bad habits they usually exercise.
3.  During a session with a client, I sat near a window as it rained.  After making a point about yielding to God, and the joy it offers, the rain stopped, just at that instant.  A huge burst of sunshine, that had been hiding behind a shroud of clouds beamed only upon me, while speaking with the client.

      She smiled and noticed the "coincidence," too.  Talking about synchronicity.
4.  I'm so happy I don't stay in my head. It's a dangerous place for me to travel alone.
5.  I've gone through four saddlebags for my bike in nine months. I tore another one last week.  I usually carry thirty-eight pounds of books in them, in addition to the eight pound laptop I place on top of it, bungee-corded down on the rack I have on the back of my bike. Total weight, 20.86 kg.

     Each time I've destroyed a saddlebag, the store where I bought it gives me a new one, free.  Wow!  This pannier costs $145.00.  So, that made my day, along with the sunshine, this morning.
How About You? 
What are your three gratitudes for today?  

3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Good for you for not getting upset at yourself after you goofed. That's something I need to work on. I goof and then kind of hold it against myself, not very healthy.

Syd said...

Your trips sound great. I like the idea of Turkey also. I am setting in motion a plan to go to Cuba next fall.

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeper,

Beautiful moment, with the sun streaming through when you made that point. Synchronicity indeed! God was truly smiling on you both! Thanks for sharing that.

And, congratulations on your upcoming trip to el corazón de Turquía. Sr. Pablo el latin romántica, (and Thanksgiving) will never be the same!

And congrats again for your new pannier. You must be in "Pannier Paradise" right now!

On this Saturday night, I am grateful for...

1. Our recent rain that is putting a dent in our drought, and heralding the smells and sights of the dawning spring.

2. The modest benefit to health and well-being of a brisk walk around the neighborhood.

3. The chance to watch a light action film "REDS 2" with mi esposa tonight.

4. My determination to overcome "Downton Abbey" withdrawal (end of Season 4) by watching seasons 1, 2 and 3 each Sunday night, until next January (if I can somehow stretch them out that long...), to quench my thirst for exceptional British period drama, and subsequent hole in my heart!

5. Another excellent gathering with friends last night to share our experience, strength and hope in healing and recovery from the devastating effects of addiction in family or friends. And, once again, my wife's unfolding share of "chicken story metaphors," was magnificent; inspiring many including me, the resident "rooster."

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels