Monday, October 3

A Lovely Weekend In Spite of Relating with an Angry Man

“What if you gave someone a gift, and they neglected to thank you for it – would you be likely to give
them another? Life is the same way. In order to attract more of the blessings that life has to offer, you
must truly appreciate what you already have.”     Ralph Marston
    Good evening everyone,

My Gratitudes for Monday:

1. I've been riding my bike. Lately, exercise has been a great way to knock me out at night. I'm sleeping better.
2. Saturday, I witnessed a sunset, while at the beach in Alameda.  I was treated to an amazingly awesome sight:of
lavender stratus clouds hanging in the sky while the sun slid below the jagged San Francisco peninsula.

Close Encounters of the Angry Kind


       Over the weekend,  I was with a person who got angry twice in one day. He needed to get a hold of himself. In the midst of his rage, I calmly told him I wouldn't tolerate his outbursts, that our discourse deserved dignity. Yep, I did.

       He caught himself, after my comment and amended his ways. No, it wasn't one of my sons, thankfully. They aren't ragers.

3. I'm grateful for boundaries, the ability to respond and not react and for the ability to be kind and courteous while still adhering to my values. For more about this click here. 
4.  I get what I tolerate. I'm thankful that I don't accept unacceptable behavior. I'm glad I was able to stand in my integrity---I didn't yield to someone who attempted to use intense emotions to sway me to yield to his bidding.
5. I'm happy I reduce the drama in my life by staying present. I look at what are my options when relating with an angry person, instead of accommodating him due to fear.This weekend there was no fear when he raged. I just observed.  After his outburst, I requested that he be respectful in our conversation.

      Please keep posting, I love hearing your gratitudes!

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels