Monday, August 19

Out of the Hamster Wheel, Into God's Hands 8/19/13 (449)

       Good evening everyone,

My Gratitudes: 

1. This evening, I slowed down.  Nurturing ourselves, is critical.  Doing nothing is a virtue, not a fault.  If not careful, redlining our lives destroys our serenity; living in a hamster wheel gets us nowhere but out of touch with ourselves.  When assaulted by a multitude of distractions, demanding our attention, our feelings lose out.

2.  I'm thankful for making time to ponder.  Doing an inventory of our lives helps us notice areas requiring loving care.  How many people do you know take time to do this?  For that matter, when was the last time we thought of the word, "ponder"?  It's rarely done, a challenge to do, nowadays. The temptation to plug in with iPods, iPhones, to text, or surf the internet entices us away from spending time with our inner selves---in silence, free from distraction.

     Scrupulously doing our inventory, gently, lovingly---not critically----develops awareness of what is going on within us.  Reviewing our behavior, thoughts and needs, and those things that create the driving momentum of our life is a terrific, but oft overlooked activity.  Highly recommended.  Many thoughts are squatters, occupying territory in the property of our mind, only adding the squalor of anxiety, bitterness, depression, fear, resentment and self-loathing, among other mental detritus.  This is where doing an inventory with a mentor or Balcony Person helps: they help us to play nice, with ourselves.

     These individuals have emotional and psychological distance.  They are not embroiled with the issues imperiously demanding our immediate attention.  This supportive network empowers us to consider applying positive alternatives, antidotes, to harmful thinking and behavior.

         Balcony People are not critics.  They are cheerleaders who root for us, providing support when our energy flags. They run along side us, with paper cups filled with the cool water of encouragement, while we run the hilly marathon of life.  They remind us why we were never meant to live in isolation.

Caution: God at Work!

     I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny.  I've learned it's best having our mind filled with whatever is good, lovely or compassionate.

        Having our heart conform to God's character, seeking his help, is our best option.  Receiving aid from an austere, judgmental, unloving God is not what I'm suggesting.  The Higher Power I know is gentle, gracious, patient, kind, empathetic and loves unconditionally.  If you don't know this kind of God, you can. For more on this, you can read here first and then this place, too. Or, if you want, you can call me, no fee, and we can talk. My number is listed in the contact section above.

        Conforming to the nurturing qualities of God's character is impossible to arrive at, by our efforts, alone.  Positive thinking doesn't cut it.  Growth, and healing, happens when we rely on His strength and forgiveness.  It's best turning over the areas needing growth, to Him.  That's our part.  Letting Him deal with the results, is His.
Remind me each day that the race does not always go to the swift. There's more to life than increasing its speed. Let me  look upward into the towering oak and know that it grew great and strong because it grew slowly and well.       Orin Crane
3. I'm grateful I'm learning the value of  yielding to God, being patient while He's transforming this once scarred acorn into a beautiful tree.

4 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Thanks for your post. I've been going slower lately and I worry it's a bad thing, but I know I am ok just as I am. Thanks

Unknown said...

For me, it is slowing down to smell the roses, to see the beauty all around me, to feel the environment on my skin.

My gratitudes for this week:

I've been tired this week. I think I have a bit of a bug. So, I am taking it easy, doing less than normal, resting and recuperating. And grateful that I can.

I am grateful for chances to see friends and catch up. Reconnecting with people who care about me and my well being and who I care about. And, learning how to pay attention to the many gifts I am given.



Pablo said...

Dear Vanessa,

Thank you, for your visit. What do you think makes you feel that going slowly is a bad thing? For me, I find that living a hectic lifestyle is a result of not connecting with my Higher Power, God as I understand Him.

If I'm not careful, I can use frenetic activity to prevent me from connecting with my feelings. It's a common way that allows me to avoid dealing with them. However, I've learned that feelings don't go away, if ignored.

Thank God, for my Balcony People. They allow me to deal with what troubles me in a safe environment.

Pablo said...

Theresa,

Good for you---you connected with those who care for you. Thank you for sharing what makes your heart lighter!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels