Monday, August 26

The Power of Priorities.... ...8/26/13

 
  Good morning,

How are you?  I've been away for several days, which is unusual. Wouldn't you like to know where I've been?

     As most of you know, I like to ask for your
high and low points for the week recently completed.  Here are mine:

Highs:
1.  Challenges were faced last week. "Courage faces fear and thereby masters it."  This required emotional strength, which is hard having, when feeling vulnerable, which was my case.  Priorities help me scale the valley of unpleasant tasks that I climbed out of.
2.  I spent time with me, always a good thing.  Quiet time slows me down, provides perspective and equips me with the tools necessary to chop through the thicket of difficult times.
3.  Two people I know were willing to support me as I needed to confront someone who's creating problems.  Community provides a strength I wouldn't have living alone.
4.  On three occasions last week, I was almost used, by others not sensitive to my needs.  Each time, I spoke up, resulting in a favorable outcome. This is an ongoing area that stretches my emotional maturity. Confronting others, tactfully, yet firmly, is a relational high-wire act that requires much practice before it can done smoothly.  I'm not there yet, but this area of relational skills is improving.

    When I'm in an unfair situation, communicating what I want provides the opportunity for improvement.  If I say nothing, there is no chance of that happening. I'm glad for speaking up three times.

Lows:
1.  Mountains loom ahead, that need climbing, if I'm to achieve my goals.  I'm thankful for this arduous journey.  It forces me to equip myself with healthy priorities, before embarking on this trek of triumph over titanic tasks.

     I am choosing activities that will deliver the desired outcomes.  Defining specific goals help me allocate my time and resources appropriately and allow me to know what to track and measure.   I have emotional equanimity when I pace myself with a reasonable schedule, exercise my spiritual practices, stick close to God and my loving supportive community.

2.  I have filing to do and numbers to record.  They are ongoing tasks that help me practice discipline, exercise order and---when I'm on top of them----they provide tranquility and emotional ease.


How About You? 
What are your highs and lows? 

3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Kudos to you for not allowing yourself to be used Pablo. I have fallen into that trap too many times.

Pablo said...

Dear Keith,

Yours is the quickest comment I've ever gotten for a post of mine. Great hearing from you! Did you have any highs and lows for the past week?

A curious innkeeper

Pablo said...

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your kind words. It's not easy, but with practice, it gets easier, standing for our values, and we get stronger.

Did you have any highs and lows for the past week?

A curious innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels