Monday, February 6

Weathering the Storm of Feelings ...............2/6/12

      Good evening everyone, 

The innkeeper has been busy and resting. How's that for a paradox?  I've been missing in action for a few days.  Did you miss me?  Here I am, with you, this is the witching hour when the day changes its name.  I'll share some thoughts in
a minute.  First I have some thanks to share.

       Thanks for dropping by.  I like it when you say hi.  I'm grateful to Muse and Cary for their recent comments.  It always makes a happy innkeeper, hearing from guests who drop by.  I'll be grateful when you make a comment, too.

*** ** * ** *** * *** ** * ** ***

         Today’s post is different. Your normally cheerful innkeeper is experiencing healing.  Tears have been spouting as frequently as sprinklers set to go off several times, daily.  

          They're good tears.  It's happening at unexpected moments. One time was last Wednesday while talking with John.

         A supportive ear he offered while we dined in a restaurant.  We process an emotionally abusive situation where someone screamed at me, in front of eighteen others.  I was going to see that person, that evening.  As I calmly discussed my feelings, the tears flowed. 

       While watching a TV program, I gushed as I viewed a father’s love for his family.  It happened last night, when with a client. When I was with a client!

       This has never happened before, in the decades I've helped others. I was proud of the outstanding growth transpiring in a client’s life.  Hearing him speak with a maturity and insight, witnessing the healing he's going through touched moved me. It was the first time I heard him speak with power, recovery and integrity. 

        Listening to him, I felt like when my oldest son recently graduated from college or when my middle son----as a child---would freely put the little money he had, in the collection plate at church.
  
        I was tremendously moved.  And so it was, last night.  Life doesn't get any better. Viewing a man growing, characterologically, before my eyes, within five months is heartening.  I celebrate when others overcome a devastating past, and are now thriving.

        When we apply recovery principles, we don't have to be victims, ever.  We have choices.  And this is what that client is experiencing.  Ya ay!

        My tears are washing away hidden pain that dwells within, that I was not aware of.  I am healing. Life is great. A fortunate man, I am. But, life is getting even better. I’m connecting with my feelings. 

        Crying discharges negative energy stored in my body, the result of painful moments from my past. Paradoxically, my joy is growing because of it. Not only am I aware of my feelings but also the peace and ease I have when my emotions aren't frozen. 

        I discovered the value of connecting with them. I once believed reason alone would provide serenity and sanity.  I now know emotional healing requires more.  It also requires awareness of the sensations within my body. 

       Lately, I've been actively discharging lots of the negative sensations that had been locked within my soul. I'm exercising more. Journaling, discussing things with good friends and crying help. My joy and serenity has increased.

                  Not a bad deal.

       The storm of the negative feelings are passing through my soul and out of my body, thanks to time spent with caring friends like John and using exercise to discharge the negative energy within.  Now, the dawn of greater joy is lighting up my emotional world. 

*** ** **** ** *** 
What do you think?  How do you release difficult feelings?  Pray tell. I'd love hearing solutions that work for you.   

4 comments:

Cary said...

Pablo, my heart reaches out for you as I read this. You are so honest and open to receive healing. The hardest part about healing is recognizing you need it. No wait, I take that back. I believe it is more difficult to find within what needs to be healed.

You are an amazing human encasing a loving soul. I am grateful I can now call you a friend.

Pablo said...

Cary,

Thanks for your commnets! I'm in agreement with you, once again. Awareness is critical. There can be no improvements regarding an issue without awareness.

What I've learned is that awareness has to go beyond using my cognitive abilities. Being in tune with what I'm sensing is also critical. This requires me to slow down.

Recently I've been spending with someone who's been putting me on edge. I needed to slow down the frequency of the time spent with her.

Doing so, allowed me to see what was bothering me when relating to her. She just wanted to pick my brain. She wasn't relating with ME. If information is what she wants, I'll hand her an encyclopedia. I'm seeing the relationship is not balanced, mutual.

Great stuff you're sharing, Cary. Thank you for dropping by, reading and writing; most importantly, I'm grateful for your friendship.

Here's to future moments where we share fun and insight,

The Innkeeper

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a night I spent with tears comming down my face with no thought or act of my own will causing them.
I believe the pain stored from past hurts is freeing itself efortlessly while the body rests.
I must have stored up a great amount of it. Today much as it is uncomfortable to feel the grief and saddness I know it is freeing my heart of a veil that has kept it covered to protect it.

I am grateful I am growing in character discernment and know when and with safe people to lift the veil and let in the light.

I am grateful I have time today to attend a meeting to share my recovery, strenght and hope.

I am grateful for my faith in God and the unconditional love he has shown me.
Muse

Pablo said...

Thanks for dropping by, Muse. Great having you back!

I like what you're sharing. "I believe the pain stored from past hurts is freeing itself effortlessly, while the body rests." It looks like that is what is happening.

I like your example of repression as a veil. I've likened it more to a coffin or walnut, a stronger, more confining image. The only person we hurt is ourselves, when we do that. The unfortunate thing is that usually we are not aware we are doing so.

Character discernment is critical in our relationships. Yep, it is. Without it we will not know how to have healthy relationships. Having our "must haves" and "cannot stands" helps.

I hope your time with others today is fruitful and uplifting. Good for you, you are taking care of yourself. You are not isolating.

You are doing a lot of terrific things. I am in agreement with your values----connecting with God is essential. We need a different consciousness than the one that created them.

Btw, your comment reveals several ways that allow you to cope with the dragons that lurk within the closet of your soul. Thanks for answering my request at the end of my post!

1. Letting your emotions out, carefully, while being gentle towards yourself.
2. You are growing in character discernment. It's a preventative measure. It helps reduce the frequency of painful interpersonal experiences.
3. Joining friends today. You are connecting with healthy others and expressing your truth when with them, exercising your inner voice.
4. You are making time to nurture your relationship with God. May He show you His Will and give you the power to carry it out.

I'm impressed. You must feel terrific and elated, discovering and using tools that help you to slay the dragons of difficult, painful and uncomforting feelings!

Let me know how you day goes.

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels