Friday, February 10

Ruminations About New Friends .......2/10/12

“No one who achieves success does so without acknowledg-
ing the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge
 this help with gratitude.”     Author Unknown
       Good evening everyone,
Did you enjoy your day? My day was intense, but good. On top of that, I met with two friends today.
 My Gratitudes for Friday:
1. I'm resolving an issue with a friend I've known for a long time, more than 35 years. I'm grateful I was firm, but kind, courteous and honest.
2. I'm thankful I've learned to say what I mean,
mean what I say, but not say it meanly. 
3. I've been adding new friends to my life. It's a fun experience, but a tentative experience. 
 Ruminations About New Friends
      New friendships are like baby plants. Some of them will die. and they should. Relationships require attention, time and effort, if they are to thrive. In the beginning stage, I'm vigilant to see if our values are congruent. I'm careful about this because I know that, characterologically, we are the average of the five people we hang out with. So, I dole out the title of "pal" to an acquaintance with great care, after much attention given to the little shrub. 
      I use discretion when choosing friends. If I don't exercise caution, I easily give away big chunks of me. This happens because I'm an attentive listener by profession. 
      I attend to others well. New friends love it. The problem is that usually they don't realize I haven't said much. I prefer mutual relationships. What a basic, but easily overlooked concept. Connecting with others can't happen if they aren't bonding, making the effort to find out what is alive, percolating within each other. 
      Part of my growth as an adult is stopping others when they've talked at length. I say, "I need to stop you. For the past twenty minutes you've been speaking, and I haven't said a word. For the next twenty minutes we will talk about me. I have a need for equality and balance in our friendship."  You should see the look on their faces, but good for me. 

                             ************************

      How about you? What do you look for when starting a healthy friendship? Do you agree with me?  If not, I'd love hearing your views. 
     Thanks for dropping by. May this weekend be a terrific one for you, full of love and gratitude.

2 comments:

Cary said...

I have now twice neglected to post my gratitude’s.

I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to help my sister in a time of need.

I am very grateful for all the love my children show me. My kids rock!

I am grateful for all the support I receive in my life.

Taken new people into your life can be a wonderful thing. The people you surround yourself with are always a direct reflection of who we are. They act as a mirror for us to see all of our beliefs, thoughts, and how we view the world.

Great subject Mr. Innkeeper. I am grateful I clicked the button to follow your blog! ;)

Pablo said...

Good morning Cary,
As you know you got mail from me in response to these comments.

It invigorates me when a guest to this inn signs the registry by posting three gratitudes. It makes the innkeeper delighted---it warms my heart when we celebrate life, community and connection here.

What would we do without our children? You must feel terrific, knowing you are appreciated, loved and enjoy a special connection with your children.

I wish you a terrific Monday and success with your writing.

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels