Tuesday, June 17

I Am Not Who I Was Nineteen Months Ago .................... 6/17/14

    My heart has raced the past few weeks. My face aches from smiling.  I am not my usual self.  Thoroughly delighted I am.

     A journey taken the past nineteen months wound its way through sensational conversations, poetry, more than two hundred letters, and much soul searching. The gifts found along the way have both humbled and inspired me.  I am not the same fellow I was before
embarking on this trip.

    I have learned to: 
1.  Express my needs. I wanted to be valued for who I am, not for what I offer.  That has happened.
2.  See the needs of others, what is alive within them, applying empathy. The path taken right-sizes me. Every day.  I am reminded I am part of something larger than me.
3.  Exercise patience when confused, hurt and disappointed.  I have seen the value of not interpreting what I encounter.  Interpretation is a form of judgment, something that has no appeal for me.
4.  Ask for support from loved ones, those who care about my welfare and happiness.  They have helped me navigate treacherous waters that could have keeled me over
5.  Practice being present and authentic. This approach helps me be more resourceful and adaptable. Because of recovery, I am comfortable in my own skin, allowing me to ignore superficial values any sense of rigidity.
6.  Surrender any ideas of being in control.  We are manipulative when we are fearful. We are controlling when we try manipulating outcomes.  I rather discover them. 

1 comment:

Syd said...

Good growth and good things to remember to keep growing.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels