Thursday, November 14

Life's Vicissitudes, Not All Are Bad 11/14/13

"Be aware of wonder.  Live a balanced life---learn
some and think some and draw and paint and sing
and dance and play and work ever day some."
Robert Fulgham
Image: "Switzerland: Autumn In the Mountains"
by Tim Blessed. Copyrighted photo. Use by permission. 
     Good evening,

Twenty minutes ago I woke up from a long nap.  Wow.  Life has been an amazing oppor-tunity for applying balance.  I've encountered insanity by others, no, not with my clients.  It was balanced by
love received from dear friends.

     I had someone storm away, after a conversation, because I held my ground and disagreed. Wow. That was offset with a lovely night with friends, listening to jazz at the Fairmont Hotel, spending six hours together.  I wrote my first poem in years.  I once did that often (clue: I like the Metaphysical poets of the 17th and 18th century, Donne, Thomas Carew, Shelley).  The poetry's counterweight has been preparing for a talk I'm giving a week from Saturday.
 "Happiness is not a  matter of intensity  but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony."                                                 Thomas Merton
     I've laughed with friends and endured defamation from those seeking my hurt.  I've ridden my bike for leisure, Thursday, and have prepared for sessions with clients in my study.  I've been with happy clients and those who feel otherwise.  I've vigorously been outlining material on bonding, while studying and teaching on the value of detachment.
      Wisdom is your perspective on life, your sense of balance, your understanding of how the various parts and principles apply and relate to each other.   Steven R. Covey
     Through it all, I'm fine. Life is good. God remains on the throne and He continues to answer prayers.

*******

     Two prong fasteners for filing. Yep, that's all that was needed to make the innkeeper happy.  For three weeks I've been waiting for them to appear at the local office supply store, Office Max.  Today, they arrived.  I had sought help from several clerks at the store and the manager.  Insistent, I was.  The manager special ordered them for me, no charge.

     Now life is complete.

     Why?  Because I take lots of notes when with clients.  Keeping their files carefully arranged meets my need for order, clarity and effectiveness, which contributes to the tranquility and peace of mind I have to have----in addition to my relationship with God and my Balcony People---for me to be me.

How About You? 
What do you need to have, in order to be you?  Let me hear from you, please. 

4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Pablo I love the Thomas Merton quote. Those are truly words to live by. To answer your question, I need to have acceptance in order to be me. I don't need people to agree with me, but I need people to accept me.

Pablo said...

Keith,

Good to see you again. It's been awhile. I missed your visits. Thanks for taking the time to drop by, read and comment. When you do, I get to know you better.

Acceptance is a great answer. Without it, we are not valued for who we are, wherever we are--emotionally, physically, spiritually or mentally.

Have a terrific weekend!

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

On this lovely Sunday morning in Claremont, CA, (home to the Claremont Colleges) as we prepare for a home-made breakfast courtesy of my cousin and his wife, I have much to be grateful for...

1. Stumbling quite by accident upon a fabulous Chinese Restaurant (North China) in Santa Maria, just off of 101S, late Friday afternoon, at the peak of our road-weary hunger!

2. This road trip to L.A. via Santa Barbara and its pier you can drive out to the end of to, fish, dine, shop and survey the marina, bay and towering mountains behind.

3. A meaningful reunion and time for closure with the ex-parents-in-law of our second oldest son, as we rendezvoused with them near Pomona to return some of their daughter's things, and share a coffee.

4. A fabulous BBQ Chicken dinner here in Claremont and delightful conversation with my cousin and his wife last night, (and delicious dessert out).

5. The promise of yet more adventure and fellowship to come today and tomorrow, with an old Polish friend and her family in Hollywood...

5. Just getting away from the SF/Bay Area; from work, home, kids, and all the distractions those all entail. Genuinely refreshing!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

You are unstoppable, when it comes to gratitudes. Wow, you share yours, even when you are out of town. Now, that's commitment!

You trip sound like it met needs for closure, connection, beauty and community, as well as adventure.

I'm happy for you, you got away from the grind of urban living.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels