Wednesday, August 12

Progress Not Perfection---It's Good Enough ....... 8/12/15

    I'm getting better.

    Today, my wrist---broken more than a fortnight ago---ventured forth, seeing what it can do.  When inflicted by the stabbing needles of pain, it screams, startling the rest of my body, getting its undivided attention.  For the first time, the damaged hand was tested. Four words were scribbled on the dry erase board used during sessions.  Four short words.

    Abundant success.

    Since July 27th, I have endured non-stop pain. Within my wrist a deep burn makes its presence known, when it is taxed by movement or bearing weight. Today is the first day I have used it at 15% of its capabilities.  Am I thrilled.

    Progress not
perfection.

    Monday, the doctor evaluated my progress.  The dosage of the medication was upped.  Its potency is now three times stronger.  For the first time, I feel somewhat normal, the mind not distracted by the damage done to my wrist.

     Elated, I am, enjoying an Attitude of Gratitude.

    Holding something with my right hand that weighs five ounces, for five seconds, I can do. It will not mend, bent either to the right or left.  I will, in time, resume playing the guitar and piano.

     My initial fears are evaporating.

Gratitudes:
1.  I am seeing progress.
2.  I like being gentle and patient with myself when faced with many limitations.
3.  I am thankful for relief of, not the elimination of, my pain.  This is an encouraging sign.
4.  I like being loved.
5.  Someone cooked a big batch of spaghetti for me. Am I blessed----it's impossible to cook with one hand. I am thankful for this person's sensitivity towards my physical condition.

How About You? 
What are your gratitudes for today?  I love hearing from you. 

2 comments:

Thumper said...

Dear Pablo,

It is wonderful to hear that your healing is progressing. I am grateful for your reminder about progress and not perfection in life. By giving ourselves a break in our expectations, we can take it one step at a time while practicing patience and being grateful for the progress we ARE making.

Syd said...

I'm glad that you are mending. That must have been terrible pain. I use my arms so much for exercise--gym, riding, sailing, etc. Take care of yourself.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels