Thursday, September 17

Overcoming a Visit From a Ghost of the Past................ 9/17/15

         Nine days ago, it happened.

        The circum-stances took a long time in appearing.  The tension that came with it, the sick, empty feeling in my stomach, soured the evening.  At least, initially.

        It didn't get better until I took care of myself, shutting things down, literally.  The feelings brought the return of a companion who hadn't visited in years.  Cold sweat appeared, another uninvited guest.

Peace comes not from the absence
of conflict, but from our ability
to cope with it. 
        It took place while immersed in thought, studying at the kitchen table.  That's when I heard it.  Was this unset-tling noise blasting from a neighbor's radio?

       I heard two young women scream-ing from there a month ago.  This happened while spending time with a friend.  Was the commotion coming from the neighbor next door?

       The screeching wasn't from my neighbor's house.

        The ruckus took place from the house diagonally across the street. Stepping outside, the source of the emotionally disturbing distraction became clear. The source of the profanity-laced screaming did not blare from an adult TV cable program within ear-shot.

       The banshee lived there.

       She's a chubby blonde college coed with a ponytail.  She lives in a house with a fire hydrant in front of it.  Vile obscenities screamed for two hours.

        She hollered about not having a car.  This only child made her case with her parents. Later that week, a third auto, a used blueish-silver one, appeared on their driveway. 
      There won't be yelling for a while, I hope.

    Sad memories revisited me when hearing the commo-tion that evening. The recollections were not of screams.  The ten-sion, negativity, and the duration of the young woman's tirade haunted me.

      The feeling of helplessness pulled at my stomach.  Ancient negative emotions, unwelcomed guests, visited that noisy evening.  The drama set off alarms within my body.  This unpleasant evening had me thank-ful I am surrounded by loving, emotionally healthy friends.

     Warm memories, joy, enjoying a solid supportive network replace dark moments from my past.

     Freedom from acrimony I enjoy.  The result of cour-ageous steps I took thirteen years ago.  I left a toxic relation-ship.

      I am free from disturbing emotions, like those erupting from the house with the fire hydrant.  The tension of the other night created knots within my feelings that, for years, had been untied. The emotionally violent evening birthed tremendous gratitude for harmony.

      The yelling across the street had me celebrating healthy relation-ships, which fuel my life with emotional safety, positive connections with others, and celebrating life.   My supportive network strengthens me.  I know intimacy, not condemning attacks from those seeking their way at the expense of my feelings.
    I had forgotten the negative life I once knew.

     Many years have passed since being trapped in a negative relationship.  The screams piercing that awful night did not rob me of the joy I know.  Peace of mind remains my comforting friend.

      I shut the windows that evening, almost calling the police about the disturbance.  I studied instead, nurturing myself.

Gratitudes:
1. Peace comes not from the absence of conflict but from our ability to cope with it. I took care of myself on that awful night.
2.  We may not control our circum-stances, but we control our responses.
3.  For not being addicted to drama. If we want to, we can see a film at the theater.  That way, we leave it there when returning home.
4.  For rest and sleep.
5.  For being in touch with my body, easing up on my schedule when emotionally and physically depleted.

How About You? 
What are your gratitudes for today? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pablo,
I can relate with your neighborhood incident triggering your past.
I unfortunately get triggered like that from "loved ones," but by the grace
of God, I'm learning to see other people for who they are, and who they
are has nothing to do with me. Even I have been able to see that when
my old traumas are inflamed, I'm learning to see it as simply
my body reliving old traumas from childhood. Even though I can't remember
the memory, it's ok. The trauma is not who I truly am. I'm still working on this, but
it's hard. The conditioning is strong. But this is the path. Thank you Pablo. I'm
glad you healed and got the rest you needed.
Love,
Tony

Thumper said...

Hi Pablo,

This post reminds me of how I can easily get triggered by the behavior of others. This usually happens when I am in the presence of toxic and angry individuals. When this happens, I now remind myself to be present and to try and not let the trigger take away my happiness and well being. I sit with the discomfort and name my feelings aloud. Then I state my needs underneath my feelings and I find that the feelings eventually leave. This is new to me and I am finding that with practice I will be less depressed, fearful and reactive. I appreciate you and this blog that teaches me so much about healing.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels