Tuesday, March 17

Using Boundaries: Not Accepting Unacceptable Behavior........... 3/17/20

     Recently, I asserted the need for acceptable behavior when relating with a boorish individual, one who constantly criticized, put down others and judged. 
 
     I relate with pleasant people, those who are compassionate, patient and focus on cleaning their side of the street, not the porch of others or mine.  These are Safe People.

     An important principle in recovery is not accepting unacceptable behavior.  Nor do we sacrifice or integrity to anyone.

      I love the sanity we have when using discernment.  This is having a healthy people picker.  When we are codependent, it is broken.

     A broken people picker invites chaos, drama and plenty of grief, mentally and socially.

     We are not codependent when we live with recovery, and are internally referented.  We are thankful for the clarity and safety boundaries offer.

     I was relating with a judgmental person.  In recovery, we clean our side of the street, not that of others.  He wanted to correct me, tell me how I should be.

     That's a no-no.  Such behavior is unsafe.  Someone having this quality is best avoided.

      I feel better already, ending my relationship with him.  I'm no longer affected by his toxicity.  He was a person who brightened a room by leaving it.
 
     Being judgmental is actually a form of control.. When yielding to others who are this way, we are forsaking our boundaries.  We are reinforcing this person's imma-turity.

     Recovery teaches us to be with responsive, not reactive people. Responsive individuals remain affirming, even when challenged or disagreeing with another.  Recovery is having control over our emo-tions.

    This is the defin-ing characteristic of an adult.  That is what makes adoles-cents, adolescents.  They can't control their emotions.

    If we do not have a grip on our feel-ings, we are emo-tionally adolescent.

 Gratitudes For Today
1.  Life is simpler, less demanding, because of the restrictive turn life has taken because of The Virus.

     It is an oppor-tunity to slow down.  Our society---everyone---because of the Corona virus, is moving from a crazy 4,000 rpms to 1,000.   We are moving away from operating at a highway speed.

     We are now moseying around the country roads of life at 25 mph.  Good.  It provides time for our minds to decompress and smell the wild flowers, rather than the coffee.
2.  My good friend Stuart and I visited Sunday night.

    It met my need for fun, connection, communication and good food.  We met at Cafe Raj, an Indian restaurant.  A lovely time of enjoying the depth of a close friend I have known for more than 20 years.

3.  A special toy I'm getting Friday morning.  It's my sports car.  It is returning, after a long hiatus. I am excited, thrilled.

    I can't wait.

    It meets my need for fun, celebrating life, adventure, change of routine and connecting with one person at a time.  It only holds two people.
 
s4. I was inspired Sunday morning.  I am grateful for those in my life who add to it.  I heard someone speak that moved me to reach out to oth-ers, even during this infectious season.

     Reaching out does not mean I'm getting in touch with them physically.
5.  I had fun revising the previous post.  I've put a lot of time into it, since I first posted it last Friday.  Writing is energizing, a form of verbal sculpting.
6.  It is terrific, I am more active, here, submitting five posts over the past four weeks. Thank you, for dropping by!

      How are you?  Is the Coronavirus cooping you up?  It certainly is a different world from last month. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Innkeeper,
Thank you for your latest post. My relationship with my higher power is getting stronger, each and every day. I've been working at home of late as most of us are. I've been experiencing gratitude for this time to be alone with myself and my feelings. Yes, I said feelings. I've learned that things at home cannot be done the same way at work. Good!! What blessings. Maybe that's a sign that we cannot numb ourselves forever. We've paid enough consequences for that.
I've been visiting with family members as well giving them support as they grieve their loss of a family member. I love my family. Their rare, unconditional love is real and greatly appreciated.
I've squeezed in some guitar playing lately. I missed it so much. Three bossa nova songs. Lovely!
My high school friend called me Tues. night from Washington state to check-in with me
during this hysteria. Thanks, Jake.
I cried this morning. It was great! I felt closer to God, more present.
Releasing toxins, gratitude for having the space to cry and to remember my true nature of love and serenity. I'm so glad the God of my understanding knows what we all need, even if
we're unaware of it.
With Kindness,
TB

danielle said...

Thank you for your gratitudes! I also appreciate the reminder of if someone isn't treating me as kindly as I am treating them, it's time for a change. I need to hold this at the forefront of my mind in all relationships.
It is amazing how quickly my mind can shift from fear to love once I begin focusing on what I am grateful for. There is so much to be grateful for, even in this shifting time! Once I can remember my gratitudes, care for myself, and show up fully, I am more available to be of service to others, from a place of simply loving, not needing in return. Now is the time where I am being called to be of service, and I am so grateful for it.
Sending you love!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels