Sunday, May 12

A Tribute to a Special Woman, Revised, 2nd Edition............ 5/12/19

     Good evening, and Happy Mother's Day!

     A special thanks to all moms. Your work is unending.  Often your efforts are not appreci-ated.             

    Thank you for your role.  Your children are safe, and sane, be-

cause of you.  They were----or are----well tended to, because of you:
Sweater, n.:  garment worn by a child when its mother is feeling chilly.  ~Ambrose Bierce
       Mothers, society appreciates the values you instill in your children.  I'm thankful my mom demonstrated unending love and grace.

        For mothers  who had hardworking, sacrificial, loving, caring, faithful, diligent mothers, isn't it humbling to know that:
Thou art thy mother's glass, and she in thee
Calls back the lovely April of her prime.                                                  ~Shakespeare    
        My mother died in my arms.

        On Friday, November 21st, more than a decade ago, at 6:00 p.m,  we arrived at her room. My sons, girlfriend and I.  She had been in a coma for two weeks. 

        Quietly,  I asked, "Micael, could you please open the guitar case and pull out the guitar?"  I brought it with me and wanted to serenade her.  

       Hearing my voice, she sat up in the hospital bed.  Opening her eyes, she looked at me and said, "Let's go!"  

       She had waited for me.  Sadly, we were not going anywhere.  

      The room was where she breathed her last the next day, her birthday at 6:30 p.m.  She was fighting the ravages of congestive heart failure, leaving soon for her celestial home. 

       I was her favorite child. She admired my spunk. Resisting adverse stimulus, I learned within her womb. Yes, really. It's a long story. 

      Mom liked my moxie. 

      Fully conscious, mom sat up in the hospital bed. For five-and-a-half hours I played the guitar, singing until 11:30 p.m.  She blinked at me, my sons, and Arlene, my girlfriend. 
   
       Wrapping up,  I gathered my songbook, I drew within one-and-half feet of her.  I peered into her big round eyes.  Calmly and lovingly, with a gentle smile, I said, "Thank you for being my mom."  

    Blinkingly, she nodded.  Since two years old, she had worn glasses, and she did not have them on.  

    They were not necessary during the coma she had just awakened from.  Right then, any moment could be her last.  I savored every drop of love I received from the most influential and caring woman I ever knew.

     Of her six children, I was the one with the big round eyes she had. Looking directly into her eyes, I said, "I will always have your eyes."

       I ended my last visit with mom by gently planting little kisses all over her right cheek, and that was her last conscious moment. After I left,  the nurses told me, she slipped back into her coma. 

       At her funeral two weeks later, I played the guitar, singing "Just A Closer Walk With Thee." Whenever I visited---and had my guitar---she'd ask for that song.  "When I die, please play it at my funeral." 

       I'm grateful I was with mom during her final moments. 

       Her presence still lives deep within me.  Though no longer present, I'm grateful for the fingerprints she left upon my soul.  Today's gratitudes focus on my dear, sweet mom, Cecilia:

1. I'm thankful for her humor.  
     To see the lighter side of life, I learned from Mom.  This inn would not exist, if it weren't for her.  My hope, gratitude and joy are gifts first awakened by my mother. 
      Her nurturing, encouragement and love were my first experiences bonding with someone who cherished me deeply, unconditionally. 
2. My outlook in life was influenced by her kindness and gentleness.
     I learned to overlook a matter---to have grace---from her. 
     Lord knows how often she tolerated my mischievous nature. As a young boy, I lit my house on fire, twice, for instance. 
      From her, I learned to ask, "how important is it?"  She was a model of patience. 
      Many issues that would consume me, if not careful, are now not seen as worth any grief.  Without my mom's influence, this inn of positivity wouldn't exist.
3. I'm grateful for the values she taught.  
      She---while I was a lad---instructed how to connect with God.  From her, I learned values. Her example demonstrated how to be considerate towards all. 
      And to see humor, during difficult times. 
4. I'm grateful for her faith. 
      Kneeling alongside her when she prayed, I witnessed earnestness in prayer.  She impressed upon me the importance of talking with God.  I learned how to still myself.  How to get away from distractions that can get in the way of having Quiet Time. 
     This habit helps me make it through the day, and week, and month.  I fully live when I connect with God.  I discover I am as strong---spiritually---as I am in prayer. 
      If this area is strong, so am I spiritually.
5. I celebrate her deep love for music. 
      Because of her passion for it, I love music and am a musician. Thanks, Mom, for awakening an appreciation for a language that conveys emotion in many soul-satisfying ways.
6. I'm thankful for her cooking.  
     Warm memories I have of her, working in the kitchen.  The meals she prepared for us kids, were exceptional.  I loved the cakes she baked.
     Her resourcefulness in feeding her large brood---satisfying a family of eight---was a regularly feat of hers.
7. I am grateful for her laughter. 
  Thinking of her, my heart warms as I see her eyes spark-ling and hear her laughter resonating within the halls of my memory.
8. I'm thankful one day I'll take a trip to where she is. 
     I will enjoy her touch.  I will hear, once again, her laughter.  I'll be able to take in her loving looks and luxuriate in her love.
9. Most of all, I sincerely appreciate the love she had for me.  
    Though tired---worn weary---tending to six kids, she had time for me.  I thrived and am who I am, because of her tender love.  I would not be one hundredth the man I am, without her influence in my life.  
    I agree with the following:
If the whole world were put into one scale, and my mother in the other, the whole world would jump off the beam.   ~Lord Langdale
      Thanks, Mom, for being an example of God's giving, gentle, unconditional, and gracious love.

How About You?
Readers, may I invite you to share your gratitude for your mother?  I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels