Saturday, October 28

Calmness In the Eye of the Emotional Storm Part VI......... 10/28/17

Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us
 for better things. Image: "Countryside: Across theVal-
ley" by Tim Blessed.  Copyrighted photo. Used by permission. .
       It's great being in touch with our emotions, and not  perseverating  when stressed. Be-ing agitated never helps.  How can we be mentally clear, when panicking?

        Having equili-brium, drawing from God's strength and basking in His love and that of good friends is preferred.  It's an amazing gift when this is our reaction during turbulent times.  Knowing peace, when we are swirling in the eye of a circumstantial storm helps us maintain our focus.

        Serenity is an amazing gift.  It happens when we apply healthy principles above the vulnerable parts of our personality.  Peace of mind is ours when we have the habit of leaning on God.  We trust his strength.
   
        Fullness is ours when we are connected with emotion-ally safe friends.  These options are better than the inadequate coping methods our younger selves used when immersed in life's drama.

        With recovery, isolating, anger, resentment, bitterness and self-loathing no longer reign over us.  No longer are they our default mode, when experiencing life's drama or disappointment. Using heal-thy, constructive alternatives, putting one foot in front of the other, is more effective.

       Often, it is better to not think.  Just do.   If we don't live by recov-ery principles, our nature is to analyze too much.  This is trying to control the uncontrollable and futility.

       Retiring the cape, we know ease, emotional safety.  Our joy in-creases.  We no longer carry the weight of the world.  It's not our job to deal with every crisis, to solve every problem.

       Peace now transcends our circumstances.  We know tranquility because we are gentle towards ourselves.  It's a result of moving away from isolating.  We allow our Balcony People to undergird us with their love.

       We are gentle towards ourselves.  When wrong, we treat ourselves with love and tenderness. For many of us, we did not experience it as children.

       Especially when we erred. Back then, it was the end of the world for our parents.  We were punished.  Mercy was nonexistent.

        There is hope for our past.  Recovery allows us to create new legacies. We replace ineffective methods that were used when we lived in our family of origin.  We learn to love ourselves even when we goof.

        When we experience a sad, disappointing or frustrating moment in our lives we have two responses.  Tough times can be a monument to our past pain.  Or, by how we respond, it can reflect the healing, growth, and grace we know because of recovery.

        Sure, it may feel good----temporarily---being petulant.

        But, would we really want to trade that for the peace, joy, and harmony we feel, when we replace character defects with new and better alternatives?  We can be glad we're learning a better way to live.  Life now is not only about being at peace with others, and circumstances, but with ourselves.

How About You? 
What are your three gratitudes for today? I'd love hearing them.  Thanks!

3 comments:

Anne said...

I was encouraged by your Inn this morning when facing internal turmoil which began to paralyze me. I am grateful for your reminder to find an AFG Meeting and not to isolate,
I had community with a few members after my second meeting and am grateful we exchanged numbers so I have some recovery contacts. I am grateful there is a way out through working the Steps and for the program tools. I am grateful I am acting on helpful suggestions to not isolate and identify "balcony people".
I am grateful to have rested after my day and was able to attach a resume to a job I am applying for.
Thank you for sharing your journey and the role modeling of recovery and how to apply the tools. For all the love you share from your heart, I am truly grateful.
I am also grateful I shared your Inn with a group and was able to experience one person go on the site after a meeting. It made me feel good to point a person toward the most amazing story of life and living to the fullest, role modeled by a Christian Inn Keeper who knows his higher power is God.
It is a good reminder to focus on myself and my own needs and learn boundaries with my time so I have energy for praying and working my own program.
Great news is your Inn pointed me in the right direction and I took care of my needs by taking action and listening to excellent, well thought out alternatives to the noise in my head. I am grateful for the resources you provide to me in your writing style and for Gods gifts he has blessed you with. I can hear the Lords voice through the articles and remember the Bible verse you suggested I memorize. I want to walk in Gods will and not my own and to dwell on the excellent, good and worthy of praise actions I can take to have a more peaceful life.
Thank you for all you have done to encourage me to have a God filled life and for your gift of strength to stand up against unacceptable behavior. I know I have a long journey ahead and have a forgiving God and a heart that feels the pain of living by self will.
Have a great day and peaceful night,
Anne

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful I'm not a robot.

Pablo said...

Dear Anne,

I like your response to meeting your need for connection and relief from the stress you face. I also enjoy your transparency and you being present with your feelings. It meets my need for sincerity and authenticity. Thank you. (:

Looking for work is a stressful season of life. You have my prayers.

It means a lot to me, your appreciation of what I do and offer here, at this inn. I'm glad you find it be a restful way station as you journey on in life.

You have my prayers,
The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels