Sunday, January 24

Fitting In, Just As We Are ................ 1/24/16

        I don't hip hop.

        No, I'm not saying I can-not move like a rabbit.  I'm expressing I don't dance like many of the current genera-tion.  I got to know a lot of terrific people recently. Train-ing over many weeks in the final half of last year made that happen.  It grew my commun-ity of friends.

        I improved.  I am better at what I do.  Because of it, I am filled with gratitude.  But not
enough to dance the way many graduates of this training do.  It is one of the major ways they get together. Dancing hip hop.

       A mind of my own, I have.  That's autonomy.  Don't get me wrong.  I love dancing.  Grew up with it.  Was surrounded by it, as a boy and young man.  I also took dancing nearly every semester of college.  Usually danced with the instructor.

       Because I knew the moves.  But it was ballroom dancing.  Waltz, Foxtrot, Swing, Cha Cha, Rumba, Tango, Salsa, Cumbia, Mambo, I can do.  Free form, con-temporary dancing I can move to.  But there is no comparison.  I am not asking others to agree.

       There's beauty created when dancing ballroom.  De-cades of doing it taught me much.  It is fun, being in sync, moving to the music.  It is sat-isfying being one with my dance partner.It creates joyful connection with that person.

       The time flies. Transport-ed to a rhythmical world, I am. I am in my body when shaking or gliding on the dance floor.  I am enveloped with the beauty of music.  Emotions are re-leased melodically.

       I drink in the fun dancing offers.

             A good friend was miffed today.  I told him why I didn't join a dancing oppor-tunity last weekend.  It was with fellow training graduates.  It is happening this weekend, too.  I won't go.

       I'm not interest-ed.  Somehow, because I have dif-ferent tastes, he felt there was something wrong.  With him.  Or, with me.  There isn't.

       One important lesson learned from  Al-Anon Family Groups is that we can hold different opinions.  Neither of us has to be wrong.  You may like vanilla ice cream.  That's fine.  I don't.  We are both free to enjoy what we like.

       No morals are being violated, when I eat orange sherbet and you enjoy your favorite flavor.  When we learn this lesson, we all fit in, just as we are.

       I just don't do hip hop.

How About You? 
Where do you disagree, finding yourself standing apart from others?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your raw emotions. It helps me so much as I go through my course and overcome my fears.

Thumper said...

Hi Pablo,

I appreciate your mentioning the fact that we can all hold different opinions without anyone being right or wrong. It is good to agree to disagree. I am learning to express my opinion even if it is not popular. I am not going to try and people please anymore and submit to other people's opinions just to keep the peace or for fear that people will dislike me.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels