Sunday, August 28

Chapter Two: Loyalty Lesson Taught by Alex ....... 8/28/22

Flashback to June 2010
  
     Then, there's Ben-jamin.  A tuxedo cat, the other feline in Arlene's household.  Adding this black and white pet to her family was a mistake.  

     She thought he would provide Alexander with company while she was at work.  Alex despises him.  I see why. 

     Benjamin isn't forthright, like Mr. Grey.   

     This non-Alexander feline lurks around the kibble bowls, eating from Alexander's when no one is looking.  This sneaky white and black cat is
 skittish and neurotic.  He's a pound kitty Ar-lene rescued.  

     Not stable, like Alex. 

     Now, in Alex's en-feebled condition, when he sleeps, Benjamin attacks him.  He had never done it before.  The coward. 

    This second-fiddle cat now sleeps in the back room at night. The sporadic yowling and hisses when they fight add drama to the evening.  I've found fur on the living room carpet, testimony to their violent, unfair-to-the-weakened Alexander fighting when the Feeder is not home.  

     Arlene does not want the feeble king disturbed. 

Even so, I pet Benjamin from time to time.  I don't want him to feel insecure, though I love Alex dearly.  A year ago, before Alex-ander's decline, it happened.


     Russian Blues are fastidious about being clean.  They insist on a spotless litter box.  One evening, I dropped by; Alexander was not in the house. 

     He romped among the Redwood trees in the backyard. 

     I petted Benjamin.  He ended up lying on my lap, on his back, purring as I scratched his chest and neck.  Then I felt it.  

    Oh my.  A laser-like presence burning holes into me.  Big time, I blew it. 

    I looked up and encountered the ugliest feline face.   Ever.  Demonic, it was.  

    The loathing and fury of its wrath, I felt the full force. 
   
     From outside, through the sliding glass door, Mr. Grey stared intently at my betrayal.  Never was I shamed by an animal before.  Calmly, I put Benjamin down. 

     I walked to the door, letting Alexander in.  To the couch, I return-ed. The Russian Blue stopped before me, leaving a biological deposit on the carpet.  

    Without a sound, he revealed his thoughts about my unfaithfulness.  In fact, Alex walked away without glancing in my direction.  Talk about discharging negative energy.  

     Mr. Grey did not ride a bike to release his.  According to his owner of fifteen-plus years, he had never done that.  Ever. 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels