Saturday, April 14

One Second of Response Time for Every Year Invested in Personal Growth ..............................4/14/12

A smile of encouragement at the right moment may act like sunlight
 on a closed flower. It may be the turning point for a struggling life.
Image: "Wetlands: Day Is Done" by Tim Blessed. (Caption by the photographer.)
All rights reserved, copyrighted photograph. Used by permission.
 
  "I find the concept of Verbal Aikido quite fascinating-thanks for introducing me. Also, I completely agree with the concept of detaching yourself emotionally while in adversarial scenarios-a sort of "emotional compartmentalization.: so-to-speak.”
      I'm giving this important subject---that can greatly contribute to our happiness---the attention it deserves. So,
I'm posting this response in the main room to the inn, not in the comments section. 
***************************************
     Keith,
First, thanks for your regular contributions to this inn by adding your comments. I definitely know my perspective is small. I'm just one person. When others add their insights, this inn is better for it.  We get a broader view. 
*************************
      It's taken me years, but I so appreciate learning to respond and not react, when in crisis. Be it if I'm wrangling with my own issues or if I'm having a conflict with another.
     There's a saying in personal growth/recovery circles: we get one second of response time for every YEAR we invest in our own growth I've found it true.
      It doesn't make sense talking with a person when they are drunk. This is also true if the person is emotionally intoxicated. I also realize that, in crisis moments, that the out of control person can be me, even if outwardly I appear calm!
     Pausing---responding, placing a bookmark in the volatile conversation---is preferred to locking horns with another. (Click here for more about this.)
     I'm mindful that no one can make me happy, angry, sad or any other feeling without me giving them permission to do so. (Paths to Recovery, p. 13, second to the last paragraph.)
     When tempted to engage in a conflict, I ask myself, "how important is it?" Usually it isn't worth jeopardizing my sanity or serenity. Yep, detaching is great. Doing so with love is the the tricky part. I'm glad that I've learned that I can say my "no" as gently as my yes. 
The Matrix. This is Keanu dodging the bullets.
      Working on my character issues over the years helps me see potential conflicts like the bullets shot at Keanu Reeves in the movie "The Matrix."  I've learned how to pause such moments and dodge the bullets or venom that can be directed my way during intense or abusive conversations. Sometimes, just saying, "you could be right" can defuse a difficult, sticky moment.
      I've also learned that empathy with the person I'm disagreeing with often helps. It also soothes my stubborn nature when I remember that empathy does not mean agreement. I'm just connecting with the feelings and needs expressed by the other person. When they feel heard, they often realize, in that moment, they can stop huffing and puffing. They have my attention about their concerns. (For more about this please see this post.) 
       Thanks Keith, for your comments, they encourage me and make me want to work hard as the innkeeper. 
***************************************
      In my next post, I'll respond to Vanessa's comment in the same article. 

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I'm humbled by your kind words Pablo. I enjoy my stops here at the Inn and I look forward to many more stops in the future.

Vanessa Higgins said...

Yeah Pablo!!

Marina said...

Very interesting posts - I am slowly learning this lesson, how (not) to react to somebody else's negativity. I used to be so anxious to show the other person they were wrong and would waste so much time and energy worrying about the issue. Now I try to detach. We cannot change other people, but we can change our attitude. (I could write more, and this is so much more complex, but I am tired... just wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts).

Pablo said...

Thank you, Keith.

I like your place, too. You've introduced me to wonderful ideas and several people, including the two lovely ladies commenting on this post, Vanessa and Marina.

What a gift each of you have been!

Pablo said...

Vanessa, always good seeing you here.

"Yeah!" that I'm going to respond to your comments in a future post, or "yeah!" for what I shared in this one?

Your post in your blog Friday blew my mind, in a good way.

I'll get to your comment in the "Aikido" post soon. I'm tired tonight, I was gone all day and then I rode my bike for 14 miles in the evening, when I got home.

It was soothing hearing the bayshore waters softly lapping the shore tonight, as I rode along the coast for more than an hour. It and the midnight blue sky stilled my soul. (I'm thankful for living on a quaint, beautiful island that is filled with kind people.)

As always, Vanessa, thanks for motivating me. You are rapidly becoming one of my Balcony People!

Pablo said...

Marina, welcome!

How does it feel for you, when you experience the negativity of others? I've been connecting with my "felt sense," my more primal self over the past few months. I am so glad I have.

It provides a wisdom that transcends my cognitive thinking. The best part is its healing nature.

I agree with you. Many things that got my knickers in a twist no longer bother me. I let it go. "Let Go and Let God" (however I perceive God to be) is a slogan that helps me.

Victor Frankl also agreed with your point of view. He put it well. He reminded us that even though we may not be able to control our circumstances, we can control how we respond to them. And, attitude IS critical.

Bear with me regarding the following quote from Dr. Frankl:

"We must never forget that we may also find meaning in life even when confronted with a hopeless situation, when facing a fate that cannot be changed. For what then matters is to bear witness to the uniquely human potential at its best, which is to transform a personal tragedy into a triumph, to turn one's predicament into a human achievement.

When we are no longer able to change a situation---think of an incurable disease such as inoperable cancer---we are challenged to change ourselves."

Thank you for dropping by, reading, and commenting, even though you were tired.

A grateful innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels