Sunday, April 22

The Antidote to Unmanageability: Time Alone, Time with Nature, Discharging Frustrations and Exercising Patience

Home in the neighborhood
         Good evening,
Today was a good day.  Rest was gotten and I had time alone.  Meditating and study recharged
my batteries.  Re-enenergized, I rode my bike for an hour and a half, exploring the island city where I live.
       The weather was dramatically different from yesterday. It was cool.  I bundled up and took off from home at twilight, riding my bike until the stars started peeking behind the cloud-shrouded sky. There's a satisfying feeling I have when prowling this tree-lined town that has more Victorian homes per capita in the United States, than any over city, over three thousand of them. 
       I encountered numerous dead ends, even though the satellite maps I studied beforehand showed otherwise.  I ventured to a different coastal part of the city, the Southwest corner. I headed towards the U.S.S. Hornet aircraft carrier, moored there. Plenty of backtracking took place. That was okay. I  was making progress in surveying the bicycle routes for this town.
      I'm thankful for the solitude of riding alone for an hour and more.  I liked the feeling of determination that coursed through my body, being a man on a mission. I enjoyed pushing on, even as I tired and encountered setbacks. I reveled in going beyond the usual limits of my patience and frustration. Discovering the crannies to this island outweighed the cost of frustration.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."   Henry Ford
My Gratitudes for Sunday:
1. I discharged pent up energy and frustrations by riding my bike.
2. Had time alone, both indoors and outside. I invested in my peace of mind, serenity and tranquility.
3. Saw new views of the bay while riding different bike paths for the first time, meeting my need for discovery and celebration.
4. Was able to practice patience and perseverance, allowing my character to be exercised and stretched.
5. Feeling the wind's chilly presence and hearing its silent roar in my ears as I pedaled through the darkened town on a windy evening allowed me to connect with nature, during every second of my ride.
6. I had time today to reset new boundaries. They will help reduce the unmanageability I've been wrestling with lately.
So, How About You? 
1.  Can you share ways you discharge negative energy, when you feeling it welling within you?
2.  In what ways have you been persevering, pushing beyond your normal limits of patience?
3.  What do you like to do, when you have opportunities for solitude?
4.  What other gratitudes might you have? This innkeeper loves it when you share yours.

4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

When I have a need for solitude, I either hike, jog, or go on a country drive during the evening time with the wondows rolled down (provied that it is warm enough). It sounds as if your bike rides would be quite peaceful as well. I may look into getting a bike, as there are some nice bike trails around here. Thanks for sharing Pablo.

Pablo said...

Keith, I like your input on this subject.

I find the moments you suggest as hypnotic---I'm transported to a different place, inwardly---when I do them.

Such moments are important for my serenity. They let me get in touch with my inner self in a peaceful, loving way.

Hey, I think you'll be happy, if you get a bike. Like the old commercial used to say, "try it, you'll like it." :)

Thanks Keith, for being you. You definitely add to this inn.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I usually never get your replies to my comments unless I scroll back through a previous post (as I did this one). So if you've commented back in previous posts I apologize if I've never responded. By the way, it looks as if I need to proof read my comments better, as I mispelled both "windows" and "provided" in my original comment haha. I type too fast sometimes and I don't catch the typos.

Pablo said...

Keith,

And here I thought it was my blase personality. I appreciate your sensitivity---your parents brought you up right. :)

Like a good English teacher, I care more about the content of your comments, than the spelling or grammar. Nowadays, I realize most of us are in a rush. I'm grateful you comment. That's more important than perfection in whatever you or anyone, including myself, writes.

May your tribe increase!

****************************

However, I do look forward to the day when discussion on what's written takes place here, in the comments section, the family room of this inn.

I realize my perspective is limited and flawed----I can't see everything. Learning from you who drop by and dialog with me, is my hope. If we have discussion here, in the inn, I know I'll benefit and other readers, too.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels