Friday, July 15

The Power and Value of Exercising Boundaries---We Discover the Truth About Others ................... 7/15/22

   O'Connor said she did not know what to say until she wrote. I'm  like  Flannery  O'Connor  again.   I sometimes take on her habit when writ-ing for this  positive   place in cyber-space.  
   
    I write because I have no choice.  My thoughts cry out for release.  I am mentally constipated when I do not scribe.                                  

     Seeing thoughts birthed, and taking shape through words satisfies the soul of any writer. Like Tolstoy-- although I am certainly not of his caliber--every time I scribe, some of my blood remains in the inkwell.

***

    Am I disturbed?  Heavens no. Joy fills my soul.  I prefer reality. 

    Being in tune with life requires connecting with the truth. I had mentored, trained, nurtured, and helped someone, sometimes three times a week. 

   This went on for five years.  However, in late May, he tossed our relationship aside like a used Kleenex tissue.  This happened when he realized he would not get more information and training from me.

    I am thankful for his response. 
This happened when I set a boundary and stood for my values. 

      I could no longer train him.  Our working relation-ship needed to end, I told him.  Like a lightning flash, he ejec-ted me out of his life. 

     This the response of any narcissist.  They discard others when they are no longer of use.  As the egg-shaped poster above states, a self-absorbed, controlling person does not respect boundaries.  I did not realize he was a narcissist until I witnessed his response. 

    Until then, I was misled by his charm while he wrested the information and training he got from me.  When the spigot was turned off,  I saw his true nature. 

     Maya Angelou's statement: "When someone shows you who they are, [even though it might take five years] believe them the first time" came to mind after seeing his response. 

     Beginning in June, a new season started.  Life requires ongoing pruning.  My peace of mind got damaged in May when relating to this former mentee.

     The answer to this problem required letting goAfterwardI did a happy dance and cartwheels of joy.  

     Trying times become positive when we apply Q-tips. This tool helps us have greater peace of mind. It stands for Quit taking it person-ally." 

     Guaranteed greater peace of mind when we use Q-tips. 

     What motivated my decision?  He said he no longer invested in person-al study in late May.  He had no time. 

    He was too busy helping others. In truth, he craved adulation and attention, something lacking in his childhood. 

     He did not want to develop his abilities.  He preferred guiding vul-nerable people using material from others.  When we pass on what we do not apply and absorb in our lives, we offer substance without form, leaves without roots.

     Years, days, and hours I spent with this man.   I now see his desire was gather-ing my ideas and use them when working with others.  

     There was no regard for me as a person.  I lacked awareness of his motives and insensitivity.  I was simply a supply of information for him. 

    In the first week of June, I learned I lacked judgment about someone I mentored.  It was no big deal.  I know I am imperfect. 

    I make mistakes all the time.  I've forgiven myself.  I am overjoyed my learning curve has jumped ahead; I am getting better. 

    My discovery in May was encouraging.  My discernment was improving.  You know I am the Attitude of Gratitude guy, an optimist. 

The optimist sees the opportunity in every problem,          the pessimist sees the problem in every opportunity. 
                                                                      Winston Churchill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a time I danced around my studio to the tune of "Ding dong the witch is dead, witch old witch, the wicked witch. etc.,"
I let go of an independent contractor who treated me similarly.
I felt joyful owning my voice and letting it go.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels