Friday, February 18

Loving Life, The Answer to Excessive Mental Chatter................... 2/18/22

And improve your driving, I might add. 
    I'm following Flannery O'Connor's approach tonight.  A post past due.  I have not sub-mitted anything at this inn lately. 

    O'Connor didn't know what she had to say until she started writing. In the same boat, I find myself.  The following reveals what is floating within my mind.

     What a wonderful day today.  The weather radiated the glory of California, creating smiles for everyone.  I enjoyed five-and-a-half hours of bucolic sights and sounds while touring the countryside of Marin and Sonoma counties with my steel steed that hugs curves.  

      I get ongoing training in performance driving, a less dangerous sounding phrase than what it entails: maximizing my car's abilities: racing.  Today, I practiced what I learned about pushing my vehicle.

The car that tried following and passing me last Tuesday.
     Tuesday, a brand-new Camaro with 650 horsepower, V8 en-gine, tried racing me.  With my convertible top down, I saw the driver catch up to me as I tooled from Wood-side to San Gregorio via La Honda.  Then, he appeared behind me, his head-lights shining on my car, in the middle of the day, almost bumping into me, on the redwood-forested two-lane highway, State Route 84. 

      His and my tires squealed as they rubbed sideways on the pave-ment while making quick turns on this remote narrow road. 

      With a small, confident smile, I mentally said, "Pushing me reveals craziness.  You will not like what happens if you continue. The humble pie tastes bad."

     He stayed on me, unable to pass.  My car moving at 60 mph or more.  A motorist needs to go 20 mph faster than the car he wants to overtake to pass. 

     He tailgated twenty feet (6.10 m) behind me for two miles (3.22 km) as we took twisty, tight turns of Highway 84 on our way to the Pacific coast.  

      I tired of his pesty tagging along.  I again spoke mentally.  To the fellow pushing his muscle car upon me, I said, "Enough." 

     I now drove, keeping my car at 4,000 rpms or more, increas-ing the intensity of the journey, having my car in its powerband, where the tires grab the road at the most substantial level, and my car transforms to a more responsive chariot.  

     He braked on the turns.  I down-shifted and up-shifted gears five times while acceler-ating around curves.  After each twist, he fell further back. 

     Did I notice the scenery around me?  Heck no.  My eyes were entire-ly focused on the road before me. 

     My physical well-being entirely depended upon concentration.

     After the next two miles, he cruised 400 yards (366 m.) behind.  I waved goodbye with my black-gloved right hand before he could no longer keep sight of me on the winding road.  Yes, I tweaked his confidence.  

     The driver slowed down, giving up the pursuit.  Good.  Point made.  Calmness resumed for the rest of my trip. 

       But I loved the fleeting moment of experiencing a solid injection of adrenaline and the intense concentration required. 

 What I learned

1.  How aggressive and competitive my nature is. I'm not a milque-toast.  Good.  These qualities spur me to grow and devel-op my professional knowledge and skills as a business owner. 

2.  Fearlessness and confidence define my character. Our fears frequently reveal false beliefs, exaggerating the danger we face. Often this happens because of an overactive limbic system. I love life, all aspects of it.

What I Can Admit, Being Present

1.  My life enjoys a delightful balance.  I give a lot to others.  I balance this by being available for what I love and want, meeting my need for adventure and new experiences. 

2. Life improves with each additional month.  The result of being present.  I do not get stuck in my head.  Instead of worrying, I situationally surf.  Whatever comes my way, both good and bad, I will handle--surf. 

    This attitude rids me of mental chatter that prevents me from being here and now. 

*******

     Teaching a class tomor-row. The rapport with those attending makes it a happy, solid time.  It encourages everyone who attends.

I look forward to the day approaching. 

     Afterward, I'll share lunch with new friends, followed by professional training for 5 hours in the Napa/Sonoma hills to further develop driv-ing skills.  Handling a car requires more than putting it in Drive and stepping on the accelerator.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels