Saturday, April 3

The Beginning of Greater Happiness and Personal Strength ................ 4/3/21

       I walked into the meeting room.  

       I did not know what to expect. Surrounded by strang-ers, my feelings were as uncom-fortable as a cat finding itself within a pack of dogs. 

      It feels like yesterday, but seventeen years ago, on this day, April 3rd, I began my journey with recovery.  I attended my

first Anon Family Group meeting My life made a turn for the better starting that day.  

      I became a new person. 

      I remember everyone attending that night.  It took place on a Sat-urday night, like tonight, at the Kaiser Hospital in Richmond, Cali-fornia.  Little did I know my life would never be the same. 

    Within two years my happiness was more than a flea on a large-sized dog.  I gained greater sanity.  I also learned the val-ue of boundaries.  

     Because of this fellowship, I started seeing my needs. Before Al-Anon, I accommodated oth-ers, doing what they wanted, ignoring my needs.  Living this way had me frustrated, angry.  Now, I'm aware of what I desire.  

      A number one priority in recovery involves seeing my wants along with that of othersGrowing up, my needs did not get recognized.  Being a child meant pleasing adults; in their eyes that made me a good boy.

     Serenity and confidence became another fruit of attend-ing Al-Anon.  

     Clarity about my role in the world grew as I immersed myself with this program's principles.  I now have balanced relationships.  Because of Al-Anon's teachings, I respond to manipulators and bullies while remaining calm.  

     I do not get triggered. 

     Motivated by fear, obligation, or guilt, the usual way I was promp-ted, no longer happens.  I stand in my power, not suffering from the disease of codependency, where I let others control my life.  I now enjoy exercising my personal strength and speak my truth calmly without fear. 

     Happiness overflows with-in me, more than I believed  possible before discovering the joy recovery offers. 

    In this fellowship, helpful ideas bounce around the room, more than I can take in.  During the first meeting, an older woman named Charli led the group with a gentle smile.  Talk about assertiveness guided the conversation. 

   She mentioned we can say our no as gently as our yes, that kindness demonstrates the highest form of wisdom. Her perspective was new, practical, refreshing.  

    That first night I nodded my head like I understood.  The people smiled and visited with me, genuinely listening when I shared and when we talked after the meeting.  They said things that until then I had only voiced within---I had never heard others say out loud what was discussed that night. 

      Learning practical tips helped me handle life's chal-lenges.  My enthusiasm for life grew. I saw difficult cir-cumstances now as normal. 

      Others attending the meeting had the same diffi-culties I faced until they worked on this program.  With my Al-Anon perspec-tive, life improved and made more sense.

      I once thought my plight would take me into a life of craziness.  That mentality was replaced with steps I could use to overcome the boundaryless be-havior of others who burdened my life. 

      I kept coming back.  I have been attending since 2004, seventeen years.  There has not been a better investment of my time.  

      I am happier, more confident, and understand life and how to live it.  I have a discernment that helps me to sort out unsafe people from those who are emotionally healthy. As a result, many wounds from the past have healed. 

      One exercise that grew my dis-cernment was making my list of must-haves and can't-stands.  These are my boundaries.  Because of them, I have terrific friends.  

      I no longer accept unaccep-table behavior. 

      We relate with an openness and authenticity I never thought pos-sible.  When I bed down--- because of  Al-Anon---I do so with a smile. 

     Al-Anon is not a nickname for Al-coholics Anonymous.  It is an entirely different group for the friends and fam-ily members of Alcoholics.  You can find more details here

     My Gratitudes on This Monumental Day:

1. The enormous joy I know because of recovery. 

2. I spent today with someone that I had a conflict with a week ago.  I love I dealt with this person using kindness and compassion.  Reme-dies replaced the issues creating conflict. 

    Anger inadequately expresses what troubles us. It scares people away.  Being present--feeling our needs and expressing them--creates healthier solutions to what troubles us. 

    He understood my concerns and made amends

3.  When difficulties arise, my attitude is joyful. I know no mat-ter what I face, my situation improves when I respond and don't react. 

     Because of Al-Anon Family Groups, I live with serenity and joy, even during difficult times.

4. I am thankful for Easter.  Because of the meaning of it,  I have hope and my life turned around, all for the better. 

     Wishing you a glorious Easter, a thankful, 

             Innkeeper

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels