Thursday, February 18

Celebrating Life: Seizing Moments of Joy....................... 2/18/21

   
     No, I'm not in bed, even though it is a few minutes after midnight.

     I met with friends tonight.  It met my need for connection and community.  It is in our relationships we devel-oped our distorted think-ing and it is through healthy relationships we

unlearn it.  

     Last night's zoom gathering was a bouquet of flowers offering dis-tinct fragrances of vulnerability, strength, hope, and recovery.  This is preferred to imposing our agenda or drawing attention to ourselves, seeking only what we want when meeting with others. 

      Recovery frees us from narcissism.  It right-sizes us. We see we are part of something bigger, community.  We develop empathy, getting in touch with the needs and feelings of others.  When that hap-pens, a true connection takes place. 

     The invigorating meeting I attended offered hope.  Humankind gets along well when we value everyone.  This took place at tonight's gath-ering. 

     The focus was on the common welfare of those we relate with, not just getting what we want. This is known as Tradition One in recovery.  More about that in a moment.

     The recent three-day weekend because of Presi-dents Day celebrated here in the U.S. was enjoyed with a friend.  Our excursion made deposits in my joy bank.  He and I think on the same wave-length making for animated, upbeat conversation.

      My car gives sixty smiles to the gallon.  Saturday morn-ing, driving from the urban living of the Bay Area, we took in the ser-enity of rolling hills.  We relaxed while enveloped by the Redwood trees and countryside of Marin County as we traveled north.  

      My car ran through its paces.  It zoomed upon the winding, undu-lating, black asphalt ribbon bordering the Northern California coast.  We took in waves crashing upon huge rock outcroppings dotting the shore, with the water shooting up three to four stories high. 
     
      Saturday, we traveled 170 miles.  We rested at a hotel in Fort Bragg, Cali-fornia. Sunday morn-ing we were on the road again, traveling 43 miles (70 km) through the twisty, Redwood-forested conclusion of High-way 1.  We got grub at a country store in the tiny 83 peopled town of Legget.  

     Continuing northward, we went eighty miles (129 km) towards the Victorian-homes-filled city of Ferndale.

     In between the towns were more rolling hills, farms, rivers, and a freshly verdant countryside because of recent rains.  We were reminded we were no longer in the Bay Area.  An unpleasant perfume created by the smell of cow manure wafted within our open-roofed car. 

     Even when accompanied by that lovely odor, I prefer the top down while motoring along.  My companion is six foot three (190.5 cm).  In the car, donning a knit cap, his head buffeted against the wind as we roamed rural Northern California.
    
     I had compassion.  When with others, the common welfare is most important.  It was a no-brainer and my joy to raise the roof of the vehicle. 

     Doing so paid off.  We better heard each other.  The car was warm-er, too.  My friend's need for comfort was greater than enjoying an unimpeded view of the countryside. 

Gratitudes for Today
1.  I faced a threat today. I did not let my emotions get the best of me.  I remembered that a feeling is an emotion. 
     It is not a prophecy.  It helps remembering a positive outcome is just as likely as a negative one. 
2.  For the encouraging, positive and beautiful memories created this past weekend.  I celebrated life, enjoyed community and connection with my friend. 
3.  For the life I live.  I am thrilled that I do what I do.  I am happy to have nurturing, supportive friends who undergird me when I go through difficult times. 
4.  For frequently having amazing authentic and transparent conversa-tions. 
      
               May you have a fantastic day.  I know I will.
            

1 comment:

Nomusa said...

Hi. I sent you an email 2 weeks ago and there has still been no respond from you.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels