Monday, August 27

Gallery On Abuse and Personal Notes 8/27/18

     Today's gallery of posters is on abuse. At the end of this post, I share person-al notes about what gives me deep joy.

    With recovery, we do not accept unac-ceptable behavior.  As we become more
comfortable with our wants, likes, dislikes, dreams, and choices, we become more willing to risk the disapproval of others.  We stand against behavior that mini-mizes or demeans.

    It is important being mindful that much of the abuse we experience is self-inflicted.  Frequent-ly, we mistreat our-selves more than anyone else does. We push ourselves with-out rest.  We are quick to self-judge, condemning our-selves.

     That's where the first poster comes in handy.  "Condemning my imperfections has never enhanced my appreciation of life or helped me to love myself more."

    Many abusers use the argument of past behavior.  What's that?   It is where they say, "I've been this way before and you said nothing. So why object now?

     Since we once tolerated their abuse, they expect us to abide by it.  Our silence meant tacit agreement, so they think.

     If we are living with recov-ery, our retort is, "I want you to respect my feelings and need for tranquility.  If you cannot, it's better we don't relate."

******

    Wishing you a terrific week.  I know mine will be.  It already has been.

     Yesterday, I spent time with family.  There was plenty of sunshine as we strolled the annual Niles Flea Market.  This is the town I grew up in, as a kid.

    There's something to be said for being present.  I soaked in the moments shared with my son.  I lis-tened to understand, not to reply. What a joy it is, finding our relationship getting stronger, as the years go by.

     Our times when we meet on Sunday are our Sunday family dinners.  I am glad he likes our get-togethers, too.   I don't have to say anything when we gather.  I let my at-tentive eyes do all the speak-ing.  Sometimes the most important thing in a conversa-tion is what is not said.

     My son is extremely busy.  He carves out the time so we can meet.  Yet, yesterday he strayed beyond the time he alloted.

        Not a better compliment have I enjoyed this year.  And for that, I have an Attitude of Gratitude

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels