Sunday, May 20

Be Responsive To, But Not Responsible For, The Circumstances of Others, Revisited ..............5/20/12

This lady is not opening her mouth for a dental checkup
         It was a dramatic day.  I avoid them, when possible. An intriguing conversation with someone I almost did business with, took place this afternoon; thank God for intuition---we need to trust it. 

          Glad, I am, that I did.

         A woman pressed upon me----expected me----
to do a favor.  Twice she asked me, to complete a financial transaction.  It would "really help me out," she said. 

        I did not answer immediately. I observed her and paused. That's better than reacting, giving in to her pressure tactics.  What shocked me was that I didn't even know her. 
       The setting off the red lights on my discernment dash-board prompted me to say no.  Each per-son is responsible for their own circum-stances (or feelings).  It's not my job to rescue others, especially when someone uses force, guilt, or shame to motivate me. 

       You know what that's called, right?  Yep, manipulation.

       The problem with strong-arming us against our better judgment is that we are not allowed to make choices.  We are not permitted to be an adult.  Choices are a basic right for adults and are necessary for our relationships with others.  

        Having free will definitely meet our need for autonomy, safety, harmony, and peace of mind and soul.

        For more about that, click here for a great review of what is our responsibility, or rather, what isn't.  I'm not interested in pleasing unpleasant people. I don't have "stupid" or "abuse me" tattooed across my forehead.

         We are not being nice when we give in to such individuals.  We are actually scarring them.  Did you know that?

         We are empowering them to continue is their bullying ways, by letting them manipulate us.  We are also reinforcing their immaturity. 

         Afterward, I met with someone I mentor.  It was a welcome antidote to the unpleasant meeting I had an hour earlier.  That evening, I went to a meeting that is strengthening my business.  A speaker inspired me with ideas that will add greater clarity to my finances and business.
My Gratitudes: 
1. I've learned it's not my respon-sibility to take on other people's problems. We want to be respon-sive to, but not responsible for other people's struggles.

2. I'm thankful for discernment.  It is more likely to happen when I pause instead of reacting to pres-sure.

3. I'm grateful for knowing that we don't need to give away big chunks of ourselves because we seek approval or are fearful of others getting upset.

      Because I am bonded to sup-portive others, detaching from manipulative, angry, shaming, or bullying others is easier to do.  Bonding is necessary before detaching is possible. Without a network of friends, and if I rely only on the demanding person for support, detachment from the emotional bully feels like sawing the branch supporting me.

4. Today, I placed principles and boundaries above intimidating per-sonalities and the once vulnerable parts of my personality.  I'm glad I adhere to my values.  I don't surrender them when rattled.
        Some people become upset when my values do not accommodate theirs. It is their responsibility, not mine, to process their disappoint-ment. For more about this subject please click here.

5. Today, I celebrate that I stood in my power, personal growth, and integrity.

       To read more about winning the Grand Prix of life, click here. You may find the second half of this post helpful in knowing how to respond to a taxing situation.

4 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

A great lesson to be learned. I love how your intuition is so strong. Those red lights would come in handy for me. I need to breathe into my heart and think through my more expansive mind before saying yes. Luckily…or unluckily, lately all I say is NO because I am in a selfish, survival mode. And that is ok.

Syd said...

I am glad that NO is something I can say without guilt. A life of people pleasing doesn't please me anymore. Good reminders in this post.

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

My friend, our intuition gets strong and easier to exercise, the more frequently we use it. What helps us is detaching from a pressuring moment, if we find ourselves in one.

I can think and meditate/reflect upon my circumstances more clearly when I don't allow others to pressure me. If they are, I tell them, "I need to get back to you."

If they are demanding an answer, RIGHT NOW, then, my answer is NO. I'd rather take the conservative approach, especially if I'm uncertain as to what to do.

Often, I find that pressuring tactics are another person's attempt at placing their personality above my principles. They want me to make my decision based on their REACTION, not my principles. And, I'm always to place principles above personalities. (Tradition 12 in Recovery.)

Essentially, I'm in agreement with you regarding using your more expansive mind.

Just remember that "No is a complete sentence." And, we do not need to justify ourselves to anyone.

Dear, it's more than okay, to take care of yourself. :)

Thank you for your response. You bring up good issues that others deal with, too.

Pablo said...

Syd,

What a liberation it is, getting off the saying-yes-to-everyone merry-go-round. It may temporarily entertain us with thoughts that we are being nice, but it gets us no where.

Thanks for your encouragement. I hope life is treating you well. I like it when you drop by. :)

The Innkeeper from the other coast.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels