Wednesday, June 30

A Helpful Perspective That Reduces Tension, Fear 6/30/21

      "Let Go and Let God," a recovery slogan.  

       Gratitude I have for it.  An emotional lifesaver,  a worry reducer.  

       Two days ago, I lost my wallet.  Several credit cards, my driver's license, and other items that allow me navigate everyday living.  A couple of weeks ago, I left it at a 7/11 convenience store, when

shopping there late at night. 

      The next morning, tracing the last use of my wallet, I raced back to the market.  Yes, they had it.  Relief!

      Monday night, this happened again. I hoped I did not leave it at the Woodside Trading Store or the gas station in the coastal town of Pesca-dero, where I spent money, seventy miles from home. 

     At night, my brown eyes can't see details well.  I wait until morning to look for lost items. 

      While worrying about my wallet, I remembered, "Let Go and Let God."  The slogan provided relief, peace of mind, and a calmer outlook. 

      Knowing that a positive outcome is just as likely as a negative one helps The loudest voice---our feelings, especially when catastrophi-zing---may not necessarily be the truest. 

      Tuesday involved a revolving door of non-stop appointments.  By early evening, my limp emotions could not stand for the rest of the night.  I passed out on the couch from 6 p.m. until 8:15 p.m.  

      I woke up too tired to search for my wallet.  It would be dark, any-ways, soon.  

     Today, Wednesday, I said again, "Let go, and let God."  This slogan continued to comfort while rummaging for the missing item.  Its ab-sence causing mild anxiety.  Then, I prayed:

     "God, I know you love me.  Would it be possible             to guide me as I search for my wallet?  I leave               the outcome in your hands."  

     Afterward, the persistent grey cloud of worry lifted, replaced by a manageable light mist of concern. 

     Thoughts turned towards contacting my bank, canceling my credit cards and getting a new dri-ver's license at the DMV.  Ugh. 

     I searched my car Monday night, seeking this item that helps me make purchases and permits me to drive.  I moved the seats.  I fumbled around, using my hands to feel for it.  

     No luck.  

     Tried again, a moment ago, today.  No success when looking under the driver's seat.  I went to the passenger side.  Wedged between the center console and the passenger seat it revealed itself in the broad light of day. 

      Relieved, once again.  How something as simple as finding some-thing lost made my heart overjoyed, producing a big smile.  It doesn't take much to please me. 

What Did I Learn?

1.  I want to trust more frequently in God.  Everyday con-cerns can easily crowd out my rela-tionship with God.  If not careful, I operate in my power, not even considering asking for His help. 

2.  Pray.  If our High-er Power knows the number of hairs on our heads, he also cares about items more valuable than that, like my wallet.  I felt relief when I prayed.

 "Cast all your cares upon him for he cares for you." 

3.  The increased sense of ease I had after using today's slogan.  My fretting went from an 8 on a scale of 10 to a 4.  It birthed within me a calmer point of view. 

   "May I, like the ocean, live the ebb and flow of life with               beauty and grace."

4.  Happiness does not require much.  Our thinking makes the difference.  Ma-terialism or winning the approval of oth-ers does not provide joy.  

     Happiness comes from viewing life from a dynamic, pos-itive but accurate perspective.  This includes moving away from harsh self-judgments.  

Condemning my imperfections has never en-hanced my appreciation of life or helped me to love myself more.    Courage to Change, p. 19

5.  How wonderful it feels to be gentle towards myself when something goes wrong and it is my fault. 

I have a right to be human.  [I am] reminded that I am a perfect human being, not a per-fect God.  I certainly do engage regularly in a wide array of human behaviors---making mistakes, harming others, and hurting my-self.  No matter how long I am in recovery, I'll never progress beyond being human.                        Hope for Today, p. 173

                Wishing everyone a great and grateful day, 

                               

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels