Friday, January 22

Overcoming a Ghost From the Past, Revisited 01/22/21

         An unwelcomed visitor dropped by on a sweltering sum-mer day.  He star-tled me, making my heart feel like it does when sprinting up a hill.  

        It was a long time since his last visit.  He was an un-wanted visitor I hid from as a child, when he dropped by.  His presence awakened, once again, a sick, empty feeling in my stomach.  At least, initially.

        It didn't get better until I took care of myself, shutting things down, literally, like the windows to my house on that hot summer night.   

        His name is Dread.  Cold sweat showed up, too, another uninvited guest.

Peace comes not from the absence
of conflict, but from out ability
to cope with it. 
        I was pouring over books at the kitchen table when I heard the commotion.  I wondered if it was blasting from a neighbor's radio. Nope. 

        Was the commotion coming from the neighbor next door?  I heard two young women screaming from there, a month earlier.  That happened while having a friend over, making for an awkward moment. 

        No, the screeching wasn't from my neighbor's house.

       The profanity-laced screaming was not a drama blared from a adult cable program from a neighbor's TV.  Stepping outside, the source of the disconcerting distraction was clear.  The battle was taking place in the house diagonally across the street. 

       The banshee lived there. 

       She's a stocky pony-tailed blonde college coed.  She lives in the house with a fire hydrant in front of it.  Vile obscenities screeched for two hours. 

        She screamed about not having a car.  This only child railed against her parents.
    Later, that week, a third auto, a used blueish-silver one, was parked on their driveway.  There won't be any more yelling.  At least for a while, I hope.

    Sad memories revisited when hearing the com-motion that evening. The recollections were not of screams.  It was the tension, negativity and the duration of the young woman's tirade that haunted me.

      The fear of helplessness pulled at my stomach.  Ancient negative emotions were revived on this emotionally wrenching evening.  Am I thankful.  

      My life is surrounded by loving, emotionally healthy friends.  They are my support network, the Safe People in my life. 

     Warm memories, joy, and serenity now replace dark moments from my past.  I am filled with emotional object constancy that under-girds my well-being. 

     Freedom from acrimony I enjoy.  The result of cour-ageous steps I took thirteen years ago.  I left a toxic relation-ship of twenty years. 

      I free myself from disturbing emotions, like those that erupt-ed from the home with the fire hydrant across the street. 

      I had forgotten what tension felt like.  It was disturbing, being scared, feeling uneasy.  That emotionally negative evening birthed deeper thankfulness for harmony, for being sur-rounded by friends who provide ease, acceptance, and tranquility. 

      The yelling that night had me appreciating the good friends who provide emotional fuel.  They fill my life with emotional safety, con-nection, consideration, and celebration of life.   My supportive network strengthens me.  I know intimacy, not condemning attacks from those seeking their way at the expense of my feelings.
    I had forgotten how my life once was.

     Many years have passed since being trapped in a negative relationship.  The screams piercing that awful summer night did not rob me of joy.  Because of emotional object constancy, I enjoy peace of mind. 

     That evening, I shut the windows, almost calling the police about the disturbance.  I studied instead, nurturing myself. 

Gratitudes:
1. Peace comes not from the absence of conflict but from our ability to cope with it. I took care of me on that awful night.
2.  We may not control our circum-stances, but we do have control over our responses.
3.  For not being addicted to drama. If we want that, we can see a film at the theater.  That way, we leave it there when returning home.
4.  For rest and sleep.
5.  For being in touch with my body, easing up on my schedule when I was emotionally and physically depleted.

How About You? 
What are your gratitudes for today? 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels