Saturday, May 14

A Country Walk

 
This is a trip down memory lane: I posted this in another community.  

My gratitudes for today:

1.  I took a trip along a country road, two miles from my home. It was sensory overload of the heavenly kind.  The air was crisp.  I breathed in the scenery and walked for an hour and a half. My view stretched out for 12-14 miles.  Rolling hills, lush greenery, four white goats "baaaaaa, baaaa"ing, as I walked past their stable.  Chestnut-colored horses----with blazes naturally painted down their faces----extended their necks over the barbed wire fences that lined the country road.  As I strolled by, their eyes pleaded for the length of their noses to be scratched. It was an invigorating change from my urban routine, to view cattle grazing----from a distance of 10 feet.  Their month-old calves drank from them as they stood in a field, just beyond my outstretched arm. 
  I'm grateful for time alone with God and His countryside.
2.  I'm thankful for my sweatshirt, vest, wool knit cap, scarf and gloves.  Hey, it was cold out there------maybe 58 degrees!  Brrrrrr!
3.   For the majestic view of the SF Bay Area as I reached the top of a hill luminescently green due to recent rains.  I stood next to a ruggedly handsome barn, its slouched and patched together sides betrayed the age of its character-filled redwood planks.  This red rustic repository for hay, scurrying mice and an occasional owl was a century and two score in years.  The Bay Area it overlooked.  Although I hiked after 6:00 p.m., I arrived at this spot while it was yet daylight, the virtue of getting off Daylight Savings Time.  A creek that ran through a near-by grove of oak trees sang out as I drank in the view of the bay, the San Francisco peninsula and enjoyed nature's tranquility. 
4.  For my continued health.  Not long ago, I was flat on my back and deathly ill-----thank you, Jesus, for making me whole, not only spiritually, but now physically, too!
5.  For good friends with whom I can speak honestly (but courteously and with kindness, too). See below.
6.  For not allowing a friend, who works as a manager, to dominate when we visited yesterday.  "You may be able to control conversations with other people but I'm uncomfortable with you doing so with me----we're equals."  (Our conversation was as equal adults after that comment----an unusual experience for him.)
7.   For the joy of being an adult.  Part of being an adult is that we can disagree with others.  We want to say what we mean, mean what we say, but not say it meanly.

      Okay, guys, those are enough gratitudes from me, I heading out to one of my favorite towns, the island town of Alameda. 

          The Innkeeper of the Attitude Inn,

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm grateful for the organization that I was able to accomplish today. I cleared my son's room and the majority of the front of the house (it seems the bulk of the clutter was from misplaced books...another gratitude).

I'm grateful for my son's willingness to help with today's cleaning spree.

I am grateful that finding a debit card prompted me to check the account balance which revealed fifteen dollars that will pay for cat food quite nicely without forcing me to borrow money.

Pablo said...

I wrote a reply,yesterday, and my computer froze up, losing my post. It seems that your tasks were fruitful in several ways, it must feel good to have more clarity in your home!

Not only did you spruce up your place, but you found books, encountered more money and inspired your son, he wanted to help.

Thanks for sharing three gratitudes. I appreciate the example you set for other readers. As the Innkeeper of this inn I'm duly authorized to award you with the inaugural Attitude of Gratitude Award of the Week. Kudos to you!

Do I hear a hip, hip, hurray for Kelly from the rest of you?

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels