Wednesday, December 29

Being Careful as to Whom We Relate With..................... 12/29/21

     Last week I was authentic with someone I have known for several years.  Our friendship had been positive, strong, supportive, and encouraging. 

     I asked a question, trying to get clarity about our relationship.  He reacted strongly and negatively.  I loved his response. 

     I was surprised and happy at the same time.  Being the Attitude of Gratitude guy, I was also pro-foundly grateful. What made me love his reaction? 

     I saw and understood him more thoroughly. 

     Floating within my mind while relating with this person last week was a statement I've shared here several times:
If you can't be your authentic self, you are connecting with the wrong people.  They're wasting your time and holding you back.  Meaningful connections require you to be your au-thentic self.                    The Power of the Other, Henry Cloud 
     Seeing where we can improve our relationships is a good thing.  This was not possible for the fellow I interacted with last week. What transpired developed my discernment.   

    I connect with those who are best for me.  We are the average of the five people we hang out with.  Unsafe People do not grow, nor desire to.
    Maya Angelou said, "Be-lieve people the first time they tell you who they are."  

     My episode with this guy helped me understand his nature.  Better late than never. 

My Gratitude for Today

1.  Today, I buckled down and did an accounting task related to my work. I was mindful of Vince Lombardi's quote, "Work on your weaknesses until they become your strengths."  This involved working on this project. Not something I like doing. 

     Getting this assignment done met my need for effectiveness, focus, and self-discipline.  I felt relieved and hap-pier after it was over.  

2.  I love music.  I slow down during the Christmas season to allow my life to settle.  The end of the year can be a tumultuous time if I am not careful.

       The more relaxed pace provided time to take in nurturing music that created a sense of ease.  Tranquility and peace of mind resulted when I slowed down and inhaled lovely, comforting music. 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels