Sunday, October 31

Young, Again 10/31/21

     Yesterday, before sunset, I flew my stunt kite for two and a half hours while at the  Fort Bragg headlands.  
      The city lies eight miles north of the town of Mendocino.  My first time flying it in five years.  Kiting slows the pace of my life.
      Having time to breathe increases my serenity.

       I communed with my Delta kite and the blustering wind pushing from the Pacific Ocean.  In the process, I became a young kid again.  My younger self danced with the kite as it moved to the beat of the staccato-styled, jolting wind.  

     My body gyrated--shoulders dipped, knees bent, and hips swayed while spinning the kite in tight, one-after-another circles in both directions.  Flying stunt kites--a full-body exercise, missing was music to keep company with the kite's boogie moves. 

     The kite athletically pulled through the strong gusts of Pacific wind.

     The Tuesday before, I drove to the Berkeley Marina.  Tom, the High Flying kite guy, and his truck were there.  He restored not only my kite but the kite-flying joy missing for half a decade. 
   
     At Fort Bragg, the purple-tipped, orange, then yellow-centered kite drew everyone's attention They craned their necks to observe it dancing 60 feet in the sky (18.28m).  The only kite in town and along the shore.

    Hilda and Emmylou, her dog, helped.  Was I glad. 

    Her initial concerns, I relieved.  Her thoughts were the red sleeve for the kite covered up a bow with arrows or a rifle.  While I needed to focus entirely on the kite, to keep it in the air, we struck an open, transparent conversation while the two-string kite soared, moving at my bidding. 

An example of a dual-line Delta kite
    The two handles tugged while the kite darted within the coastal sky.  Not only did the kite fly, but the time.  It buzzed left, right, up and down in the strong wind currents.  

    Its flight controlled by the two strings on the kite's bridle. After an intense work week, unwinding with my kite nurtured my need for ease, tranquility, and peace of mind.   

***

Gratitudes for 
October:
1.  I slipped away from the Bay Area twice this month.  Spent three days in Mendocino each time. Boy, do I need it. 

      Delighting in na-ture, experiencing balance, relaxing, and celebrating life took place.  Life quiets down when there, providing calmness.  This rural part of California produces the quietness needed after demanding days spent working. 

      Also, driving up there provides half the fun.  Twisty roads hug the coastline, dazzle the eye, and inspire the soul.  The trip was enjoyable to take in my sports car.

2.  Greater gratitude for discernment   I thought of drawing closer to someone I've known for years.  Not certain now.   

     I'm heeding Maya Ange-lou's comment, "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them."  I observe what appears to be rigidity while relating with him.  I en-joy more ease when connect-ing with those who avoid black and white thinking or lifestyle. 

3.  Today, throughout the day, driving two hundred and thirty-five miles along the coast from Fort Bragg to Muir Beach near San Fran-cisco intoxicated me as I headed home.  I love the Zen taking place when moving my car at a quick clip.  My need for focus and having fun were met. 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels