Sunday, May 29

Kisses For a Son 5/29/16

         Some friends and I visited this morning.

        We stood in a circle outside, surrounded by trees.  The cool breeze wafting around, a won-derful respite from yes-terday's hot weather.

        Someone new to me walked by, then dropped in, joining us.  Everyone knew each other.  The odd man out, you know who.

      That's okay.  The unknown woman heard about me.  She checked me out.

        No.  Not that way.
      Her pain robbed
any joy she could know.  Depression oozed from her.   A glaze filled her eyes as she stood across from me.  I feared I would pick up her emotional disease if I got closer.

        Her shoulders slumped.  Quiet, lethargic words escaped from her lips when she spoke. Her roots harkened from Cherry Hill, New Jersey. 

        Then the news.  Eighteen months ago, the sad woman's son died in his early thirties.  That's why she looked as she did.

         Defeated, tired, and worn.

         Our uncertainty about how the be-reaved will respond makes it easier avoid-ing discussions about the death of their loved one. Those grieving want to talk about their departed loved ones. Those relating to grief-stricken people often feel awkward.  Lean-ing into the subject, I asked his age when he died.

       She opened up.  This begins the steps towards healing from loss.  We open up about our feelings.  We experience them.  We do not stuff the hurtful, troubling emotions.

       Otherwise, the body will certainly cry the tears the eyes refuse to shed. 

        We want to feel our feelings, say what we feel.  This begins our healing and the basis of authenticity, the foundation for every fulfil-ling relationship. 

      Our conversation moved to the blouse she wore.  Different.   A black T-shirt plas-tered with a lip print design.  A moment later, my eyes brim-med with tears when she explained why she wore it.

      "These lip markings reveal kisses I have for my son."

       Feeling the tears in the back of my eyes, I said, "Your answer makes me cry,"   Another woman in the circle said, "Me too."

       Being present involves being alive in the mo-ment.  It requires not yielding to our fearful or cautious mental chatter.  It occurs when we feel our feelings and wants, allowing them to nurture us.  The wings of our spirit unfurl when we do.

       I ventured into a delicate and sensitive subject with the woman I met today.  We truly get to know a person when we become aware of their softer sides, especially the darker shades most people overlook or avoid.  This richer discovery of others happens when we know more about them than their name and what they do.
      When present, we remain true to our values.  We ack-nowledge them.  We stand in our power.  Not the case for the faint of heart, who fear ex-pressing what they feel and want.

      Whatever fears we have about what others think of our authentic selves can be over-come.  This happens with the boldness being present offers: declaring what we feel bubbling alive within us, being genuine and transparent.  We feel our emotions and express them.

       In the process, we become our happier, more authentic selves.  And life unfolds riches we would never have known, like being in touch with a mother who wears kisses for her lost son. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pablo,
Wow! What a touching moment. That moment was also a kiss from God. I marvel at moments like that when God puts things into perspective. With all the chaos going on around us, disconnecting us, mainly because of being in the head, I'm so glad that you felt the moment with your heart. Also, Happy Birthday, buddy. ��
God bless, Pablo.
Love,
TB

Lynne Becker said...

Hi Pablo. As most of us who are fortunate enough to keep living eventually experience, I have become an unwilling expert in how the grieving would like to be treated. And I can attest to your choosing the most perfect gift for that grieving mother: asking her about her son and listening to her. From 2007 thru 2012 my family and I lost four immediate family members. The thing I longed most for, besides having them back, was for other people to know who it was that we lost. A few people, who had already been down that road, really did this for me and it was so helpful to begin to get the pain from the inside to the outside. I try to pass this along to others now whenever possible. Lynne

Anonymous said...

Hi Pablo,
What a touching moment. I marvel at God's grace, which brings perspective, above all the chaos that whirls around in our heads, or the negative events that occur around us. Thank you for modeling what was alive within you. Also thanks for having the courage to be completely vulnerable with a new person. As I read your post, I was rooting for you and rooting for myself to do the same. I'm glad this mother was able to connect with you and express her grief.
I cried today as well. I was working on my report cards today. Although I did accomplish a lot, and I am grateful for being ahead of the game, and even though I have completed report cards many times in my teaching career, they always take a toll on me.
It hurts. It's always difficult for me. I also had to be a caregiver for a parent today and run errands, do chores to take care of my family's needs yesterday. I mourned because I was simply tired and worn out.
I felt better after crying, and I patted myself on the chest and said to myself, "There, there. You've given enough. Time to let go for today. You were amazing this weekend."
By the way, Happy Birthday to you."
Love,
TB

Anonymous said...

Thank you for modeling transparency with another human being. Your courage is appreciated.
TB

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels