Thursday, October 18

Parading the Elephant: Expressing What Troubles Us, Revisited.

      I'm bumping up this post. I found it one of the musty boxes left in the attic of this inn.  It was written last year in May.  I'd love hearing your response.
What did the grape say when the elephant stepped on it? (Answer below)
       It's been a tough week. I didn't think it would be, but
such has been the case. There's been a lot of deep exhaling on my part. I've routinely been letting out stress, along with my breath.  Encountering tension is not fun.The following link is helpful if you want to know if you're dealing with an emotional bully. Click here.

       I’ve been an elephant walker, and driver, this week. The elephant in the living room of a troubled relationship has been paraded by yours truly.  Sometimes I’ve had to take the elephant with me. It was a tight fit in the car, but my floppy-eared friend and I visited with a dear friend or two. Thankfully, these friends helped me to wash it----get some of the crud off of this unwieldy pachyderm.  I love friends who offer perspective.

       As a result, I see this Jumbo-sized situation for what it is. It's an opportunity to exercise principles and live by them, firmly, but graciously, regardless of the resistance I encounter.  Naming the elephant, discussing my concerns, hasn't made circumstances better.
   
       Yet.
     
       In times like these, I find the following quote helpful:
Life doesn't always go smoothly or peacefully, even though I might wish it would.  In the past when something bothered me, I’d say nothing rather than face an argument.  It seemed better for me to be upset than to risk upsetting someone else. The results were usually disastrous.  I would become irritable and unreasonable as I let resentment fester. 
Today I suspect that adversity has value I hadn’t previously recognized.  When I face adversity and deal with my problems or express my feelings, things have a chance to improve. 
[If I don’t mention my concerns there is no chance of it improving.] Even if they don’t, I release some of the pressure I  feel.  I’m new at this, and I don’t do it very gracefully yet; sometimes it’s scary and sometimes my words are not exactly welcomed. Nevertheless, I feel better when I realize that I have finally begun living life on life’s terms. 
Looking back, I see how much I’ve grown. I wouldn’t have chosen any of the crises in my life, but since [I’ve been applying healthy principles in my life], I’ve learned that every problem can help me to change for the better, deepen my faith and add to my self-esteem.
The Chinese word for crisis is written with two characters. The first stands for danger, and the second for opportunity. I'll look for the good hidden within everything I encounter.
‘There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands.’

'll be happy when my elephant becomes this size----don't laugh,
I've seen it happen with several other elephants I've encountered!
My Gratitudes for Thursday, 10/18/12
1. I rested some more, today. I didn't sleep well last night. 
2. I fixed a bent bicycle rim 
    I learned how to true a wheel. 
3. I rode my bike seven miles on a very warm afternoon. 
4. This evening, I faced disappointment. I was not resentful towards the person who let me down. I'm thankful for learning that it's my responsibility to process it. 
5. In the evening, I rode my bike for another 12 miles, with my oldest son. Afterwards we did marketing work for my business. I appreciate his knowledge in this area, an area in which I also have expertise. It was terrific collaborating with him. It's always good to grow and learn something new, which is what happened. 
6. While cycling with my son, our average speed was 24 mph, which was pretty good, especially considering my next gratitude. 
7. My leg is infected from the accident I had a week ago, last Tuesday. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow.  It is pink,  in constant pain and tender to touch. I look forward to this problem being resolved. In advance, I'm grateful for doctors. 


The answer to the question under the first caption: the grape did not say anything---it gave a little wine. 

2 comments:

Naz said...

Hello Παύλο!
I immediately clicked this post cause so it happens that elephants are my favorite animals! I think they have so much love and are adorable! I've always thought of an Elephant as my shield, not as the problem! It seems that's not the case with you! I really hope you find a shield or become a shield your self to keep the problems away just like i got my elephant!
Gratitudes for today:
1. Music! Music, youtube, guitar, singing! I am so grateful these things exist in our lives!
2. Imagination. I am so grateful that we have the power to create worlds inside our heads and return to reality in matter of seconds!
3. The possibility of acquaintances becoming friends!
Generally I am in a great mood today! Very positive and optimistic!
Have a great day my friend!

Pablo said...

Good evening, Nalia, my friend!

It's a phrase we use in America. We say there's an elephant in the living room when we refer to a problem we're not addressing.

Maybe we could skype and I'd show you a few things on the guitar. I've been playing for more than thirty years; I used to play in bands, in San Francisco.

Nalia, thank you for your gratitudes! I'm in agreement with you. Music, imagination and developing friendships, they are all great things to appreciate.

I hope you have a terrific week, blessed with much music, creativity and enjoyable companionship.

Ο φίλος σας,

Pavlos

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels