Friday, July 27

I Don't Rummage In a Garbage Can for Food: The Need for Discernment .....7/27/12

      Good evening,

How was your Friday?  I felt relief, in more ways than one.  I was calmer, more than any other day this week:  One cause was
taking care of a big project yesterday.  That provided mental relief, I was not weighed down by the pressure of getting it done.
My Gratitudes for Friday: 
1. This week, half of my readers have been from Russia. Thank you for dropping by.  I'd love hearing your gratittudes. Go ahead, write in Russian. With the resources of the internet we can interpret whatever you say.
2. I have been dying from a sun rash. Skin sensitivities I've had since a child. Said rash has keep me up at night, waking me from sleep. I got it from having my windbreaker open while riding my bike for an hour and a half last week. It's on my upper chest, below my neck, the sun burned through a netted shirt.
       I have a steroid ointment, prescribed by a dermatologist.  The beauty of it is that it INSTANTLY stops any itches. The downside was that I hadn't been able to find it.

       Everywhere, I looked. I decided to "Let Go and Let God," about locating it.  If God cares about the number of hairs on our head, as a wise man once said, he certainly cares about a tube of medicine which is more valuable than a single silly cilia.

       Yesterday, the panacea appeared when I stopped looking.  Can you believe it, in just one day, after applying it to the inflamed, scratchy area, this source of continual pain was healed?  Ya ay, and double ya ay!  I'm thankful for the restorative power of of this ointment. Wow.
3. For fourteen miles (22.54 km)  I cycled intensely while pushed by 20 mph winds.
        My time was limited, I was meeting a friend in the early evening to see a movie. I rode as hard as I could for 50 minutes, pushing my body.  My average for the trip was a bit more than 17 mph, including off road riding in the sand and bushes along the south shore of the island, an area I love traversing.
        It was grand: tensions exorcised as I taxed my body, beautiful vistas, wind massaging my face, all this accompanied by the smell of kelp and the sound of waves pounding against the shore. You can't beat living in a beach town that does not have humidity, has warm, sunny weather and is filled with kind people.

       At the theater, I felt amazingly relaxed, grateful for making time for my emotional and physical well being.

      The training I learned as a runner is paying off as a cyclist.  I'm using the same workouts for cycling.  Today, I focused on my breathing, using it to increase my speed while doing interval workouts.
   
      I'm seeing results. It's a great feeling, racing around, flying on my bike.  In a few days I'll go for a 44 mile trip, my once a week long ride.
4. I saw the movie, "The Dark Knight Rises." It was pretty good. This film reflects many areas of the present concerns of society: the instability of our economy, moral instability, terrorism, violence, and several other angst-producing issues that mark this time in history.
        It was fun to have some escapist fun, enjoying community with strangers and my friend in a darkened room that spewed out intense music and a vivid film.
How About You?
What bugged you this week? For me, it was a rash. Am I glad it's resolved. It was not the issues mentioned in the inn the past few days.
       I've learned to not to let unacceptable behavior or values, detract from my serenity. As a result of what I've learned from recovery principles, I express my concerns and leave it at that. It's not my desire, nor my job, to change others. There's only one God and I am not it.
       However, I don't tolerate circumstances or blogs that don't meet my needs. I get them met elsewhere.  I just walk down another street. I avoid gaping holes---pits---that I'd fall into, if I frequent areas that don't contribute to the positivity, respect and healthy environment I seek, and need.

       I might find a biscuit in a garbage can, but that is not where I normally go to look for food. 

       Having a vibrant, and positive life requires discernment.  As I said yesterday, I'm the average of the five people I hang out with.  For me, that means those who are vibrant, offer reciprocity, demonstrate kindness, a love for God, intelligence, grace and courtesy----which is showing sensitivity towards others.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels